PDA

View Full Version : Interesting tasting notes

mannye
08-11-2013, 09:26 AM
I thought it would be interesting to do a vertical tasting of 5 different meads. So I lined up the 5 bottles...it wasn't blind, just a "get to know mead" tasting for a few friends.

Here's the interesting part:

3 of the 5 bottles were old bottles i had put the SAME home-made JAOM into!

It was amazing to watch how everyone debated the different merits of the EXACT same mead. Declaring one a favorite over the other.

I'm curious to have that done to me to see if I would also get influenced by the labels.. In the end it was a very educational experience about how people choose what they like to drink and showed me the incredible influence marketing has on people.

fatbloke
08-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Was it definitely just the labels ? Or maybe you had the different bottles stored in slightly different locations so could have been affected by temp swings in storage etc ?

mannye
08-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Nope. All in the same place. And all bought the same day. With the exception of my own which was not bought.

I should note that everyone had a few drinks in them already but that no one was anything more than buzzed.

drako824
08-11-2013, 07:19 PM
I read an article somewhere that a way to get people to like your wine better is to pour it from an expensive looking bottle. Can't remember where I saw it though. It was about commercialy produced wines, not homemade ones though.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 4

Marshmallow Blue
08-12-2013, 04:20 PM
I read an article somewhere that a way to get people to like your wine better is to pour it from an expensive looking bottle. Can't remember where I saw it though. It was about commercialy produced wines, not homemade ones though.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 4

There was an interesting nugget on mead marketing a few months back here. http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21423&page=2 Luckily I posted in it so it was easy to dig up. Its a pretty deep 16 posts so get your glasses out.