PDA

View Full Version : cyser question

bayne50
08-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Here is the recipe for the cyser I'm wanting to try: 80-ounces of apple juice, 1.5-lbs. honey, 12-ounces cranberry juice concentrate, yeast energizer, champagne yeast
My question: Can I replace the champagne yeast with either Lalvin D47 or EC-1118? I have both of these on hand, and my local brew shop is 35 miles away.
Thanks for your help
Bayne50

Jim H
08-11-2013, 06:57 PM
When you plug all of that into the mead calculator (the link is in the left had toolbar on this page) what kind of ABV do you get?

That ABV might be a guide as to which yeast to use. D-47 goes to 14% ABV, and EC goes to 18%. I haven't tried EC, but some here say that it isn't as tasty as D-47. If you take that advice, you might want to adjust your recipe to yield a ABV of 14%.

rmccask
08-11-2013, 08:59 PM
I tried plugging that into the calculator for 1 gallon of mead and it looks like 11.11% APV. That isn't that high so most mead yeasts should be fine. I haven't played with D47 since it requires 59 to 68 degrees and has bad results with higher temperatures. I used 71B for my cyser but I think V1116 would also be a good choice.

bayne50
08-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Jim H., Thanks for telling me about the mead calculator, I looked it over. Being new to mead making unless there is a tutorial on using the calculator, I'm truly clueless as to how to use it. rmccask said he plugged into the mead calculator and got a 11.11% APV. Not knowing how to adjust my recipe to yield an ABV of 14%, I think I'll give the D-47 yeast a go as I have it on hand. Thanks again for your information. Bayne50

rmccask
08-11-2013, 11:07 PM
There is some help for the mead calculator somewhere in the links on the left. But don't try to go exactly to the % ABV of the yeast since the yeast don't always do what they are told and can easily go more or less depending on their mood.

wowbagger
08-12-2013, 09:50 AM
I've made several batches of cranberry cyser using a recipe not entirely unlike yours.

To me, the yeast alcohol yield doesn't matter too much since I always halt fermentation by first cold crashing for a couple days then racking onto Camden/sorbate. I usually aim to stop it around 1.020 And it will often drop a few more points before actually stopping, but you can choose whatever sweetness you like.

bayne50
08-15-2013, 08:21 PM
wowbagger; would it be possible to get a copy of your cranberry cyser recipe? I would like to try making a cranberry cyser, and would like a recipe that has a proven history. Thank you, Bayne50

fatbloke
08-15-2013, 11:25 PM
EC-1118 is champagne yeast........

It's good for making dry, excessively neutral batches with champagne like properties and restarting stuck ferments. And little else IMO.

It seems to blow too much of the aromatics and more subtle, volatile flavours straight out the airlock.....

71B would likely be better.......