PDA

View Full Version : The Top 10 Things I've Learned from my 1st brew with GotMead

UKTony
08-18-2013, 10:09 AM
These are the top 10 things I've learned from this website, and the smart people therein, as a newbie, brewing my first batch of mead! I'm still open to being corrected on any of these, because that's what learning is all about. I hope someone else new to this finds them useful.

You're not in control the yeast are! (Chevette Girl - August 2013)
Yeast can't read the outside of the packet they came in. They know nothing, nor do they give a hoot about your expectations!
Learn about Yeast Starters, they are awesome; you owe it to your sanity to use one if you're new to this stuff! Pitching billions of extra healthy yeasties will only improve your chances of success.
There are lots of great theories from a lot of smart people about the best way to make mead. Read them and choose the ones that work best for you, in your environment and go with it.
Know everything you can about your yeast and nasty surprises will be minimised. Pay particular attention to Alcohol Tolerance and Optimal Fermentation Temperatures; don't set yourself up for failure before you start. There's absolutely no point in choosing a yeast that is ideal for 60f - 65f, if you're brewing mead in Florida in the summer time (unless you're prepared for a huge AC bill, or will be brewing in a fridge); if in doubt please see list item 4.
Unless you have a local brew shop within a few miles, plan ahead; If you need to adjust the pH on your brew, there's nothing worse than having to wait a week for the nutrient / acid blend / alkaliser to arrive in the mail, while your mead gently weeps, and your yeasties die a prolonged and agonising acidy death.
Hydrometers are very necessary and very fragile. They can also be quite inexpensive… buy two or more of them… if in doubt see list item 6
Keep meticulous records if you wish to get assistance when things aren't going as expected. There are very few mysteries that are unsolvable with a mead, if you have good records of your process, and the ability to measure the right things about your brew, the very smart people on gotmead.com will probably be able to help
Champagne Yeast is almost never the right answer, to just about any question you have about yeasts when making mead.
Become a Patron of gotmead.com; the effort, waste, money, time you will save (especially if you're new to this) from being a patron will far exceed the meagre cost of patronage!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001) Author

fatbloke
08-18-2013, 10:58 AM
These are the top 10 things I've learned from this website, and the smart people therein, as a newbie, brewing my first batch of mead! I'm still open to being corrected on any of these, because that's what learning is all about. I hope someone else new to this finds them useful.

Yeast can't read the outside of the packet they came in. They know nothing, nor do they give a hoot about your expectations!
Learn about Yeast Starters, they are awesome; you owe it to your sanity to use one if you're new to this stuff! Pitching billions of extra healthy yeasties will only improve your chances of success.
There are lots of great theories from a lot of smart people about the best way to make mead. Read them and choose the ones that work best for you, in your environment and go with it.
Know everything you can about your yeast and nasty surprises will be minimised. Pay particular attention to Alcohol Tolerance and Optimal Fermentation Temperatures; don't set yourself up for failure before you start. There's absolutely no point in choosing a yeast that is ideal for 60f - 65f, if you're brewing mead in Florida in the summer time (unless you're prepared for a huge AC bill, or will be brewing in a fridge); if in doubt please see list item 4.
Unless you have a local brew shop within a few miles, plan ahead; If you need to adjust the pH on your brew, there's nothing worse than having to wait a week for the nutrient / acid blend / alkaliser to arrive in the mail, while your mead gently weeps, and your yeasties die a prolonged and agonising acidy death.
Hydrometers are very necessary and very fragile. They can also be quite inexpensive… buy two or more of them… if in doubt see list item 6
Keep meticulous records if you wish to get assistance when things aren't going as expected. There are very few mysteries that are unsolvable with a mead, if you have good records of your process, and the ability to measure the right things about your brew, the very smart people on gotmead.com will probably be able to help
Champagne Yeast is almost never the right answer, to just about any question you have about yeasts when making mead.
Become a Patron of gotmead.com; the effort, waste, money, time you will save (especially if you're new to this) from being a patron will far exceed the meagre cost of patronage!

Excellent :D

Chevette Girl
08-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Those are some good observations! Maybe we should make this thread required reading for newbees ;D

UKTony
08-18-2013, 05:03 PM
The only thing I would go back and amend on point 8, is that you need the hydrometer before you start, you can get an SG reading anytime, but you can never go back and get an OG.

mannye
08-18-2013, 05:24 PM
Awesome!

You only forgot one thing... fatbloke needs to write a book and reading it would be #1 right next to Schramm's

joemirando
08-18-2013, 10:24 PM

BRAVO!!

Put THIS in the FAQ! Hell, I think I'm going to print it and post it on my wall!

Thanks,

Joe

UKTony
08-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Awesome!

You only forgot one thing... fatbloke needs to write a book and reading it would be #1 right next to Schramm's

I'd buy that book!

joemirando
08-18-2013, 11:00 PM
I'd buy that book!

Hell, I'd buy TWO of 'em, just in case I needed to read it again! ;)

GntlKnigt1
08-19-2013, 10:53 AM
Hell, I'd buy TWO of 'em, just in case I needed to read it again! ;)

ROFL. I've learned a lot too..... but still know nothing...

rmccask
08-19-2013, 07:41 PM
I have learned enough to make mead that I like but I still have a lot to learn and I hope my meads continue to improve. I am very thankful for all of the information I have gotten so far and would gladly buy a copy of Fatbloke's book.

mannye
08-19-2013, 08:42 PM
Looks like you've already sold 4 copies (Joe's getting two) and you haven't even thought about writing it yet!

joemirando
08-19-2013, 09:58 PM
Looks like you've already sold 4 copies (Joe's getting two) and you haven't even thought about writing it yet!

Heh heh, yep, I'm committed....

Or should be. ;)

-Joe

sodium
08-20-2013, 05:27 AM
this is so helpful to me, which is a total newbie.
Cheers:occasion14:

K5MOW
08-20-2013, 06:40 AM
Some great info.

Roger