PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected Refermentation

HowardVic
08-20-2013, 11:09 AM
Greetings Everybuddy.

I was preparing to clarify with Bentonite when a heat wave of over 101 degrees for several days caused my 123 gallons of mead to start fermenting again.

Originally, it was 119 gallons but I decided to back sweeten with four gallons of honey and I had already (thought I had) stabilized the mead with two 8 oz. containers of Potassium Sorbate and 7 teaspoons of Potassium Bisulfite.

In order to continue with clarification with Bentonite and the safe bottling of the mead, how much Potassium Sorbate and Potassium Bisulfite should I add? I would think the original doses would be too much.

Thanks for the feedback. It is greatly appreciated.

Note: The refermentation was very slow, only during the hot hours of the day because the fermentation ceases at night. I have not noted any fermentation today I suspect because it is rainy, windy and "cool."

fatbloke
08-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Did you do anything to de-gas the batch ? Only because the heat spike might have just release a bit more of the dissolved CO2 ? i.e. the cooler it is the more dissolved CO2 is retained.....

I can't think of what the total dosage might be for a batch that size. For a 1 gallon batch its 1 crushed campden tablet and it depends on the make of the sorbate but its between 1/4 and 1/2 a teaspoon per gallon.

Logic suggests that you'd just multiply it to allow for your batch size. Personally I'd just work it out on the dosage multiples and then reduce it by 20%.......

HowardVic
08-20-2013, 08:47 PM
Thanks for your reply, Fatbloke. It is greatly appreciated.

I had started a detailed response to your reply but a friend dropped by for a visit and when I got back to the pc, I couldn't post it. I logged out, signed in again to continue.

In a nutshell, on Saturday, I will clarify with Bentonite, wait six days, stabilize with Potassium Sorbate and Potassium Bisulfite and bottle immediately.

Again, thanks for your feedback.

Chevette Girl
08-20-2013, 09:11 PM
I'm thinking the same as Fatbloke, it might just be degassing, especially if it stops when it gets cooler (water can hold more dissolved gas at a lower temperature, a raise in temperature will start driving it out). Has your specific gravity changed since you backsweetened?

I would make sure to degas it now, as bentonite won't work as well if there's still dissolved CO2 in the must.

If you already sorbated it with the appropriate amount, you shouldn't need to add it again, it does not degrade over time. If you didn't add enough, add to make up to what it should be... Hitting it with a half to full dose of sulphites shouldn't hurt anything because they DO degrade. I'll leave checking the math up to you because I'm lazy. And if it is actually refermenting and stabilizing it didn't work the first time, I'd be really careful about bottling it immediately after.

mannye
08-20-2013, 10:33 PM
Wow~ That's a lot of mead! Is it as good as San Juan mead? You know...considering you made it in Ponce?

:D :D :D :D : ::runs away::

Eduardo Miranda
08-21-2013, 10:51 AM
Greetings Everybuddy.

I was preparing to clarify with Bentonite when a heat wave of over 101 degrees for several days caused my 123 gallons of mead to start fermenting again.

Note: The refermentation was very slow, only during the hot hours of the day because the fermentation ceases at night. I have not noted any fermentation today I suspect because it is rainy, windy and "cool."

You are assured that they returned to re-fermentation?
A few days ago I had the same problem with very hot days here in Portugal and what in fact was happening was the expansion of the CO2 in the container and the release of CO2 due to increased temperature.
What happened to me is described in this text: http://www.meaderylab.com/article/1384

Regards,
Eduardo Miranda

fatbloke
08-21-2013, 02:29 PM
You are assured that they returned to re-fermentation?
A few days ago I had the same problem with very hot days here in Portugal and what in fact was happening was the expansion of the CO2 in the container and the release of CO2 due to increased temperature.
What happened to me is described in this text: http://www.meaderylab.com/article/1384

Regards,
Eduardo Miranda
Nice link/site Eduardo......

Eduardo Miranda
08-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Nice link/site Eduardo......

Thank you. ;D
I'm not know your blog and have been giving a look. Very interesting.

Regards,
Eduardo Miranda