PDA

View Full Version : Backsweeten to recover headspace

Nazgul07
08-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Hello all!

I just finished racking my first two melomels (see original post:Here (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21683) ) over stabilizing chemicals (Potassium sorbate and Campden tablets) after cold crashing.

These melomels are about 6-7 weeks old. They were getting pretty darn clear and so I thought they were ready.

My next step that I'm concerned about is backsweetening in a few days, and at the same time I'm worried about the lost headspace. I've searched around the net for backsweeteing methods and how to recover headspace, and I think I can do it at the same time/kill two birds with one stone.

Here is my question:

Can I backsweeten by mixing honey with enough water to recover the headspace? I'm not worried about loss of ABV, I already think these are too high (by taste). I had mixed vodka in after last racking to recover headspace.

Here's a pic of the melomels, if it weren't for the lighting and condensation on the jugs (from cold crash), you'd see that they are pretty clear.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/The_Silmarillion/IMG_20130825_115750.jpg (http://s42.photobucket.com/user/The_Silmarillion/media/IMG_20130825_115750.jpg.html)

Chevette Girl
08-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Nothing wrong with that plan, just make sure you don't make it TOO sweet.

Nazgul07
08-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Well that was easy! Lol thanks!

capoeirista13
08-27-2013, 10:27 AM
If it's an option, I find that backsweetening with the original must, or a similar solution works best.

Marshmallow Blue
08-27-2013, 10:49 AM
You can also take a gravity reading on that, then match your backsweetening solution with that gravity.

mannye
08-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Sauron called me and he's a little upset. He says backsweetening should be done for flavor and not to recover headspace. Whatever...he's always grumpy that guy.

Marshmallow Blue
08-27-2013, 11:19 AM
My next step that I'm concerned about is backsweetening in a few days, and at the same time I'm worried about the lost headspace. I've searched around the net for backsweeteing methods and how to recover headspace, and I think I can do it at the same time/kill two birds with one stone.

I bolded the important bits for you Mannye

capoeirista13
08-27-2013, 11:40 AM
If you decide that you want to recover headspace right now but don't want to backsweeten at the same time you can use marbles to fill up the space and then backsweeten later.

mannye
08-27-2013, 07:03 PM
I bolded the important bits for you Mannye

I wasn't as think as you drunk I was when I wrote that. :p

Nazgul07
08-27-2013, 08:26 PM
I wasn't as think as you drunk I was when I wrote that. :p

Too funny :)

I went ahead and proceeded as planned tonight. I added a cup of Honey mixed with a glass of water to each and I got all that headspace filled up.

I couldn't tell much difference in taste, they seemed pretty dry after, but i figure I could always rack once more and then backsweeten again if I needed to.