• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

1st time brewer, long time drinker!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Omega Iteration

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 31, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Hiyas all! I've been creeping on the site for a month now, just for gaining as much insight as possible, prior to starting my first batch. I went out and got all of my brewing supplies (hydrometer, thermometer, yeast, airlocks, etc) this morning and am now sitting here waiting on the last bit of water to evaporate out of my brewing vessels from the washing/sterilizing process, and decided to finally post.

I am planning on using 3 lbs of honey to 1 gallon of water, 1 tsp of yeast nutrient , and 1 whole "granny smith" apple per batch.
My yeast is Super High Gravity WLP 99
The room I plan on brewing in sits at a constant 70-75 F (22.8ish C)

Aside from step feeding, aeration, and patience, are there any other tips you all could throw at me?

Side note: I am aware of the aging time that such a high apv yeast requires.

Mead_zpse1c707bc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Omega Iteration

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 31, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
My SG for the light honey was 1.05 and for the dark was 1.045
Must temperature was 80 degrees.
Prior to pitching my yeast, I shook my 1+ gallon of must in the 5 gallon water container for a good few minutes, pitched my yeast then gave it a quick shake and poured it into the glass carboys.

Hmmmm, not sure if I left anything out... Whelp, time to clean the honey off my keyboard. lol

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I look forward to hearing how this works out for you, I usually start my step-fed stuff around 1.110 or so...

Omega Iteration

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 31, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Day 1a

Woke up for work and noticed that the dark honey was trying to pee on itself through the airlock. -_- Light honey wasn't movin.. Move them both into the shower because I realize... I gave them both too little headspace.

Left out the apples and will wait for first rack. Thinking that the "dark honey" may actually be sorghum. I don't believe that I've ever had it before, but it does slightly taste of molasses, without the really bitter aftertaste.

Last edited:

Omega Iteration

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 31, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
1b

Fast forward 11 hours. I get home and move my 3 gallon herb pot outside to catch some rain then check on my mead... Dark has ummm... sharted itself. Pictures not suitable for viewing...:rolleyes: Light still not moving.

Pulled out my wine thief:p and start a third batch in a confiscated gallon jug from my original must. Half and half. Aerate both, pretty sure I gave them shaken baby syndrome and wait 20 minutes, nothing from light. I Put a half a wine thief of dark in the light, gave it a single shake and 10 minutes later, activity. Not sure if I jump started it, or if it was happenstance, don't really care. ;D

Both are running at about 3 bubbles/second now. Unfortunately foam still reaches the water in the airlock, I changed to the inverted cup airlock on the dark, because of the amount of foam reaching the secondary chamber in the s-airlock was making me uncomfortable.

Side note: A guy at work suggested that I put one of the moruga scorpion peppers from my plant when it fruits in a bottle after complete yeast die out.
I told him he was sick.

Last edited:

Shodan

NewBee
Registered Member
May 13, 2013
Chicago, IL
I'm a noob myself, but I went ahead and bought a 10- gallon fermenter. I'm on my 6th batch, all of which are 5 or 6 gallons - although batch #6, a blueberry melomel, was 7.5 gallons. The extra room in the fermenter is nice, and it allows for vigorous aerating with no worries about foaming over. Best of luck with your mead!

danr

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
Side note: A guy at work suggested that I put one of the moruga scorpion peppers from my plant when it fruits in a bottle after complete yeast die out.
I told him he was sick.

I am a huge fan of spicy food and have scorpion pepper powder and sauce that I use in moderation. I had been thinking for a while that I would like to try a sweet traditional or cocoa mead with smoked habaneros added after fermentation, but I wanted to try a commercial capsumel first. I had the opportunity to try two different Moonlight Meadery capsumels on a trip this summer and . . . I did not like the spicy flavor in the mead at all. I guess that I prefer to eat my spice than to drink it.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns