• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Now that I've got stuff bottled

Barrel Char Wood Products

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
How best to store it?
Any way you want......

Though ideally, with bottles on their sides, in a darkened cave with low humidity and average temps in the low 50's (under a chateaux and vineyard worth at least 30 mill ;) ).....

You intending to keep it a while ? Or drink it reasonably soon ?

Cos I'm thinking labels and either shrink seals as a minimum or better still, bottling wax......

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
C87BE430-2D4C-4FBD-BEC6-B3F3B7B3C7F0-13515-00002CE7A718BCAD_zps04da0dfe.jpg

fatbloke

GotMead Patron
Did I say "ideal" ?

If you can manage the ideal that's great, if not then store it how you can.....

Green or brown glass has longer term merits......

So if you have a basement or an "under the stairs" type space that might be a little cooler or consistent, brilliant......

danr

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
If you have the space and your budget can afford it, you could pick up a used refrigerator or freezer and use a temperature controller to keep your bottled mead at a cooler temperature. This is even more useful for keeping fermentation temperatures in the ideal range.

danr

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
The impact of temperature on mead is highest during fermentation and I am sure that storing your mead in the mid-70s will not ruin it. Of course, for long term aging the closer you can get to "ideal" temperatures the better.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
I store mine any old place, because my basement is not yet complete.
I've aged meads 3 years, and had no issues. Perhaps it may have been better, or would last longer in ideal conditions, but there were no issues.
Your greatest concern is temperature fluctuations. 70-74° is better than 50-69°
Just get it somewhere stable.

fatbloke

GotMead Patron
forgot to say, nice green jugs. Glass presumably ?

The one gallon and 5 litre sized ones we see here tend to be clear glass, with a much smaller number of brown glass ones (these are the traditionally shaped ones similar to yours, but they usually have 2 finger lugs on the neck, instead of the 1 in your picture).

If I get the glass ones in plastic baskets (Italian origin I believe), those ones are green usually, but the smallest ones of those I've seen are 25 litres, moving up to 54 litres.....

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
Thank you, they are actually pretty cheap in the states 5-6 bucks. I personal don't like starting a batch in em just not enough room after fruit. But ill use them from secondaries.

fatbloke

GotMead Patron
Thank you, they are actually pretty cheap in the states 5-6 bucks. I personal don't like starting a batch in em just not enough room after fruit. But ill use them from secondaries.
Concur there...

It's even worse for you. They are, I presume 1 US gallon. My ones are 1 imp gallon i.e. 4.55 litres, which is what ? about 20% larger, so in theory I could get the same amount of liquid but with fruit........except I learned about fruit batches about 8 years ago. They all start in buckets until the ferment is done ;D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns