PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Batch Started

DonMcJr
08-31-2013, 10:42 AM
Ok I started a 2nd batch. I kinda just went with what I have read and made up my own 1 gallon batch of Acerglyn...

DonMcJr's Acerglyn Gallon

3 lbs of Honey
8 oz Maple Syrup
1/4 Teaspoon of Fermax
1/2 teaspoon of Grape Tannin
Lavin D47 Yeast

So I added all Ingredients to 1/4 Carboy of warm water

Topped off with Water and Shook the heck out of it 4 times to aerate.

Hydrated the Yeast at 80 F

Pitched the yeast at 76 F

Stopped and ready to Pop (bubble!)

Must O.G. - 1.113

So after I did it I sat down and ran it through mead Calculator...

Og says 1.124 (pretty close!)

%abv 16

Stayed tuned on this for updates. I started with webmaster's "No-Age Sweet Mead in 3 weeks -- JM

Then I didn't have Buckwheat Honey and said what the heck I'll try it with Maple Syrup and try and make it a tad sweeter...

I didn't have K1V-116 yeast either so I used the Lavin D-47.

So I am thinking it won't be ready in 3 weeks but I should have a real sweet Acerglyn?

Thoughts, tips, Yell at me cause it's not gonna work? :rolleyes::cool:

joemirando
08-31-2013, 11:32 AM
Oh, it's gonna work. Don't sweat that part. Yeast have been doing what they do for untold millennia (or 6K years, if you're a creationist). Unfortunately, during the latter part of that time, the strain that D47 was cultivated from found that it liked temperatures between 59 and 68 degrees F. Higher than that and its going to get 'stressed' and could start leaving off flavors, etc., so keep this one in the coolest part of the house you can, have nutrient and yeast hulls or boiled bread yeast ready, aerate 2x/day through the 1/3 sugar break (SG 1.075) and most of all, have patience.

The alcohol tolerance of D47 is 14%, and you have enough sugar for 16.x%. This can also lead to stressed yeast. You might want to consider monitoring the SG and cold crashing/stabilizing when it gets to ~14% to minimize this. This will give you an SG of around 1.020, which would be on the sweet side, but it would hopefully avoid the off-flavors.

Having said that, I would still probably let it ferment itself to whatever it ends up at and let age take care of the rest. If you can avoid stressing the yeast through the conscientious use of early aeration and stepped nutrition additions, you should have an enjoyable mead there.

These are just my newbee impressions, and I'm sure that someone more knowledgeable than I will either add to or correct them, so stay tuned to this station. ;)

Maze on,

Joe

DonMcJr
08-31-2013, 11:38 AM
Here's a Video I made...

Click> http://youtu.be/53gX6-ttJHM

Thanks! I added a video above...

What you said is Exactly what I thought too...:cool:

joemirando
08-31-2013, 11:42 AM
Here's a Video I made...

Click> http://youtu.be/53gX6-ttJHM

Thanks! I added a video above...

What you said is Exactly what I thought too...:cool:

Heh heh, you know what THAT means, doncha?
We must BOTH be wrong. <lol>

Maze on,

Joe

DonMcJr
08-31-2013, 11:43 AM
I hope NOT! :eek::cool:

fatbloke
08-31-2013, 11:55 AM
Well if your start as per the vid, was indeed 1.113 or so, then there's still no guarantee that it'll be a sweet mead......

Mead isn't beer. It can be as sweet or dry as the maker wants it.....

DonMcJr
08-31-2013, 11:58 AM
I can always Back Sweeten if it's not sweet enough, right?

joemirando
08-31-2013, 12:55 PM
I can always Back Sweeten if it's not sweet enough, right?

Yep.

What I said about it being sweet was based upon the alcohol tolerance of D47. It could peter out a little before 14%, or it could ferment it dry. The yeast are going to 'decide' that.

Backsweetening has become my go-to, thanks to fatbloke. As long as you stabilize it before backsweetening, it'll be fine.

I've got a packet of D47 in the fridge, just waiting for the temperature to drop so my basement is below 68 degrees. I haven't decided what to use it for yet, but it'll no doubt be something I have to ask a ton of questions about. <grin>

Maze on,

Joe

DonMcJr
08-31-2013, 08:02 PM
Well after 10 hours it's bubbling the same as my 5 gallon batch I started last Saturday... every 4-6 seconds! :cool: