PDA

View Full Version : Is My First Batch Stuck?????

davemo
09-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Ok i am making my first mead/melomel that i got in kit form when i bought all my winemaking supplies.The peach melomel contained 10 pounds brewing honey, 1 48 oz can of peach puree ,1 oz yeast nutrient ,1 pkg pectic enzyme ,2 pkg cote de blancs yeast, 1 pkg potassium sorbate and 1 pkg super clear kc finings. The instuctions called for putting the honey,yeast nutrient and 1 pkg yeast in the fermenter for 10 days.My original Sg before fermenting was 1.075,after seven days of pretty active fermenting it slowed down considerably and i tested the SG at 1.001. So i then went to phase 2 of the instructions and added the puree,pectic enzyme and other pkg of yeast.I did not rack out of the primary because instructions call for letting it ferment like this for 2 weeks but my fermentation has slowed greatly i am only getting bubbles thru my airlock about every 20 minutes.After 2 weeks i am supposed to rack it to a secondary and let it completly quit fermenting then add the stabilizer and clearing solution.Question is what constitutes a stuck ferment how long without activity is deemed too long. Thanks for all your help Dave

EricS
09-08-2013, 09:18 PM
You need to take another gravity reading, it may be finished. 1.001 is pretty much finished but then you added more fermentable sugars through the peach puree.

kchaystack
09-08-2013, 10:36 PM
Never trust the timing in mead recipes, nor the air lock activity. Always go by SG readings.

Take readings every few days, once it stays the same for 3 or 4 readings, then you know your ferment is done.