• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Is there such a thing as too much degassing?

Barrel Char Wood Products

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I am making a batch that's just going gangbusters and noticed that I was able to get a huge head of foam only three hours or so after the morning's agitation.

That made me want to shake it around as often as possible throughout the day.

Is there any advice against this? I remember reading a post about someone putting a 5 gal carboy on a stirplate. Wouldn't this kind of be like that?

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Since a few experiments have shown that fermentations really benefit from being on a stir plate for the first week or so, I'd say no, there really isn't such thing as too much degassing. At the beginning, you want to get oxygen in there too so being very vigorous will be a good thing, the only thing you have to watch is that you don't incorporate oxygen when you're degassing later on in the fermentation. But as long as it's making fizz, go ahead and degas it as much as you want, just avoid splashing it around once the fermentation hits about the halfway point.

Jim H

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2013
NYC
I love mead. it's so much less fiddly than beer... notice I didn't say easier...

Actually, it's just the opposite. You don't want to fiddle with your beer, but go right ahead and shake the bejeezus out of your mead. Mead is plenty fiddly.

But, yeah, I know what you meant. :)

Jim H

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2013
NYC
Just the no boiling part is so awesome!

Damn strait! I absolutely agree. Boiling the mash, and keeping a sterile field around the wort during and after chilling is a huge pain in my small kitchen. The only reason I do it is that I like the taste of my beer.

But, if I can't find the right recipe for the beer for a future braggot soon, I might just switch to short meads/metheglins instead.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Damn strait! I absolutely agree. Boiling the mash, and keeping a sterile field around the wort during and after chilling is a huge pain in my small kitchen. The only reason I do it is that I like the taste of my beer.

But, if I can't find the right recipe for the beer for a future braggot soon, I might just switch to short meads/metheglins instead.
Surely that the biggest reasson for making something yourself ?

Making mediocre meads is very easy, making good meads less so.....

If making excellent meads was easy, all the "big boys" would be at it...

Whereas they tend to stick to making stuff thats easy enough to lend itself to industrial scaling......

God forbid, they had to make stuff where they had to wait longer than 6 months for their return on investments. ...

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
There's a small but growing demand for "slow" products beginning to take hold. I think it's an elitist (using that word in the best possible light) backlash against the flood of cheap quick anything.

You can see it in music reproduction where vinyl is actually growing again, straight razors, local produce using restaurants and many more examples.

I am sure that once most beginners making mead get a handle on JAOM and these quick 30 day BOMM styles they will start making show meads and tuck away something that will require years of aging.

I know that's my long term plan!

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
...I am sure that once most beginners making mead get a handle on JAOM and these quick 30 day BOMM styles they will start making show meads and tuck away something that will require years of aging...

2x on that. That is one of the most frustrating facets of mead making for me. I AM gaining knowledge and experience, but the time delay between even bottling and 'completion' is so long that the learning curve somewhat resembles Mount Everest. ;)

Most of my batches in the past year (the sum total of time I've been trying to make mead) have come out okay, but that last little bit... that final ingredient known as aging... is years away in some cases.

Time for my favorite picket line chant:

What do we want? Patience!
When do we want it? NOW!

Joe

Jim H

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2013
NYC
Patience? I've got no space in my apartment for patience. I am obliged to drink them young and hand them out as gifts.

Jim H

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2013
NYC
There's worse things that could happen in life. ;)

But, it instills in me a desire to do it right the first time, and not be left with something that cannot be enjoyed soon after bottling. I truly can't do anything with a brew that has funny tastes or smells - there's no cellar to age it in.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
There's worse things that could happen in life. ;)

But, it instills in me a desire to do it right the first time, and not be left with something that cannot be enjoyed soon after bottling. I truly can't do anything with a brew that has funny tastes or smells - there's no cellar to age it in.

Right there with you! But you could talk to the super and see if he can't get you a corner in the basement somewhere to hide a gallon for bulk aging. Some of those NYC basements are nice and stable temp wise. Especially in the older buildings. Throw him a bottle of vodka for his trouble. :)

I was born and raised there and I remember playing in the basement in winter and summer (we were 10 year old urban archeologists lol) and it was warm in winter and cool in the summer.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns