PDA

View Full Version : Question about Aeration/Yeast Feeding

Mirakk
09-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Hey guys,

Today I got off the phone with a local beekeeper (friend of family) and he's going to give me 22lbs of raw honey he collected a few weeks ago. I plan on making a sweet mead using Oskaar's Sweet mead recipe, but I've got a question for you all.

#1. If you're aerating daily and using fermaid k supplements at the end of the lag phase and at the 1/3 sugar break, don't you risk also feeding any wild yeasts in the must as well? Is this typically not a concern? (I'm still very new to this all)

The recipe is as follows:

21-22lbs Orange Blossom Honey (I'll be using the local wildflower honey)
10g Fermaid K
H20 to 6 gallons
20g ICV-D47 Yeast rehydrated with Go-Ferm

#2. I'm going to substitute the D47 with some 71B because I cannot guarantee the temperature and don't want to risk the fusels. As strains go, it has the same alcohol tolerance, and a higher temperature threshold, so I thought it would be a good substitution. I know I have to get it off the lees right away, but is there any reason this substitution would be a BAD idea?

Thanks in advance!

theEnvoy
09-12-2013, 02:23 PM
If you sanitize (I use star san) your tools, and keep it away from extended atmosphere exposure, you shouldn't have any problems, has been my experience.

I also subbed 71 B for D 47, and using your ideas, had no problems at all. Racked off yeast as soon as was feasible...

loveofrose
09-12-2013, 02:31 PM
Answer #1
The idea is that you are pitching with such an overwhelming number of yeast that nothing natural can compete.

Answer#2
71B would probably be ok. Definitely keep it off the lees and try to keep the temp down as much as you can.

Alternatively, you could also use KIV-1116, but you may need to add more honey at the end to sweeten as it will potentially go to 18%. I find less fusel with KIV over 71B at higher temperatures.

Mirakk
09-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I did think the amount of yeast was a little excessive, and now I understand why. I'll be using Starsan to sanitize my tools, and 20g of 71B so it looks like I'll be in good shape.

I'd considered the K1V but did not want to backsweeten the final product.

Thanks again! Wish me luck. After much reading, this is going to be one of my first meads. I'll be making a 6 gallon traditional, and a 1 gallon Cinnamon/Vanilla Metheglyn this weekend.

joemirando
09-12-2013, 08:07 PM
...I'd considered the K1V but did not want to backsweeten the final product...

If you have a gutted refrigerator (no shelves and empty enough) you could cold crash it at the point you want to stop fermentation, then rack onto sorbate and metabisulphate. I've done this with a small (1 gallon) batch and it worked out fine.

Probably not feasible with 6 gallons, but something to think about.

Joe

Mirakk
09-12-2013, 09:18 PM
I have an empty stand-up freezer. I suppose that would work technically if I turned it way up. lol.

Naah, I'll just stick with the 71B this time ;)

Riverat
09-12-2013, 10:27 PM
I have an empty stand-up freezer. I suppose that would work technically if I turned it way up. lol.

Naah, I'll just stick with the 71B this time ;)

Get yourself an outboard temp controller for that freezer and you can use any yeast, any time of the year, I actually tend to use the cooler fermenting yeasts in the summer and the warmer ones in the winter. One of my better investments.

Mirakk
09-12-2013, 11:50 PM
I'd love to, but the only reason it's empty right now is because it was delivered last week and we haven't filled it yet. I'm pretty sure my wife would disown me for trying to repurpose it, even for a couple weeks at this point :(

joemirando
09-13-2013, 12:41 AM
I'd love to, but the only reason it's empty right now is because it was delivered last week and we haven't filled it yet. I'm pretty sure my wife would disown me for trying to repurpose it, even for a couple weeks at this point :(

Yeah, we've all been there. Now if it was a replacement for an older fridge that was headed downstairs (that's how I ended up with use of mine)...

Orrrrrrrrrrrr.... you could say "But Honey, we haven't put anything in there yet, and you KNOW a fridge is more efficient when there's something in it."

Yeah, didn't work for me either. ;)

Joe

Mirakk
09-13-2013, 01:38 AM
Yeah no. She said she'd "repurpose" my face. hahaha

joemirando
09-13-2013, 02:29 AM
Yeah no. She said she'd "repurpose" my face. hahaha

Yeah, been there too. sigh.

Can't they see how important this is? ;)

Joe

Chevette Girl
09-15-2013, 11:34 PM
My husband gave me the small freezer all for wine stuff... it's full. And he won't let me put any fruit in the bigger freezer...

kuri
09-16-2013, 01:56 AM
My husband gave me the small freezer all for wine stuff... it's full. And he won't let me put any fruit in the bigger freezer...

Perhaps you could suggest trading freezers....

Chevette Girl
09-18-2013, 01:25 AM
Perhaps you could suggest trading freezers....

... pretty sure that's out of the question. "I want a freezer full of things we can EAT." I'm already hiding a few bags of fruit in the big one under the guise that they're for smoothies and baking...:rolleyes:

Besides, last time I did inventory down there, I had a hundred pounds of fruit. Do I really need more than that? (please say no, please say no)

smertz001
09-18-2013, 07:19 AM
Besides, last time I did inventory down there, I had a hundred pounds of fruit. Do I really need more than that? (please say no, please say no)

No, you don't need more than that. You need A LOT more than that (=