• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Temperature Control

Barrel Char Wood Products

Mirakk

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2013
Waukesha, WI
So, I don't have access to a refrigerator or freezer I can use to ferment my mead at lower temps, but I had an idea. Does anyone have any experience using the son of fermentation chiller for mead?

http://home.roadrunner.com/~brewbeer/chiller/chiller.PDF

It's made for lagers really, but I suppose you could set it up a bit higher? What are your thoughts? $70 for a stable cool environment is sounding pretty reasonable.

Riverat

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Nice little setup, sure it would do the trick. A quick glance at Craigslist brought up a few refrigerators and freezers in the $100 and under though. I got lucky myself, my brother is a refrigeration mechanic and he set me up with a rescued cooler.

smertz001

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Nov 13, 2012
Houston, TX
smertz.net
Similar to Son of Fermentation, Kuri did up one, really nice, although it does use a mini fridge.

Here's a link (with pictures of it)

I would say it would work well, just have to keep an eye on it and things should be happy!

kuri

NewBee
Registered Member
May 5, 2013
Japan
If I understand it correctly, you fill the small chambers in the back with ice for cooling and then let a fan draw the air through that chamber to cool the main chamber. The only down side I can see is that you'll need to fill the ice chamber, perhaps a lot depending on the temperatures, and need to make sure you have a place for it to drain. A small price to pay, though. There should be no problem adjusting the temperature, though you might not be able to get much below 10C very easily unless you put ice or cold packs directly into the ferment chamber.

One thing I would definitely recommend if you do this is to make it possible to open both the front and the top. (It looked like that was part of the design, but I couldn't tell from a quick glance.) It's much easier to slide a full carboy in and out than it is to lift it up and out the top, and you'll want to be able to access the carboy opening as well during the ferment. Also, if you add a raised floor you can put a reptile heating pad underneath it to provide warming during the winter without worry of overheating the bottom of the carboy. Depending on where you live, that could make it possible to leave the chamber outside over the winter.

Mirakk

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2013
Waukesha, WI
Similar to Son of Fermentation, Kuri did up one, really nice, although it does use a mini fridge.

Here's a link (with pictures of it)

I would say it would work well, just have to keep an eye on it and things should be happy!

Good lord that thing is awesome. I'm looking for something much smaller that I can store to avoid wife aggro though. I might give this a whirl next year. Its nearly winter now so I can afford to wait and plan. I'm using the tub of water and wet towels with a fan method to get by.

Have any of you done this before BTW?

kuri

NewBee
Registered Member
May 5, 2013
Japan
I've never seen an ice-powered ferm chamber before, but I've seen some with a very small fridge powering them -- on the same general scale in terms of size. That seems to be working out perfectly fine for the guy using it.

The more common approach here in Japan where space is at a premium is a chest freezer, usually with a 6 inch collar added between the main body and the lid and with a new temperature control unit added. A freezer can keep the temperature at whatever level you want. It is more expensive than the son of fermentation chiller, though, and also bigger. Also not nearly as portable. Indeed, the portability of the son of fermentation chiller is a nice feature. You could store it on a high shelf when it's not in use and bring it outside or to any room in the house when you want to use it (provided you can deal with the drainage, of course).

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
$70 for a stable cool environment is sounding pretty reasonable.

Riverat was correct with his estimation. Final costs for my mini fridge fermentation chamber was $80. Craig's list for the fridge $50. Johnson temperature control (simple cheap one with a dial) $25 at my hobby shop. You could also make your own for cheaper... youtube it. Lastly, 5$ for spray foam.

Here's how I did mine.
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21484

smertz001

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Nov 13, 2012
Houston, TX
smertz.net
I'm cheating. I bought a new 7.7cf chest freezer to toss in the garage and use as my fermenter until i can get a design together for what I would like to build. Then once my build is done, we have a chest freezer for food stuffs. (=

The freezer should be here next Saturday, and next Sunday I will be brewing a batch of Cherry Wit for it's inaugural test.

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
I'm cheating. I bought a new 7.7cf chest freezer to toss in the garage and use as my fermenter until i can get a design together for what I would like to build. Then once my build is done, we have a chest freezer for food stuffs. (=.

This actually would probably work better then the mini fridge. No awkward shelves to maneuver or door panels to rip out.

kuri

NewBee
Registered Member
May 5, 2013
Japan
That, and when you open it, it stays cool, as the door doesn't let the cold out as easily as a front open fridge/freezer.

Great for cooling, not as great for inserting and removing full carboys. Especially as you get older and older. And older. And older.

smertz001

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Nov 13, 2012
Houston, TX
smertz.net
Great for cooling, not as great for inserting and removing full carboys. Especially as you get older and older. And older. And older.

Truth to that! But lucky for me I have a height advantage so it's not difficult unless I get stuck in a wheel chair or something. (=

kuri

NewBee
Registered Member
May 5, 2013
Japan
Truth to that! But lucky for me I have a height advantage so it's not difficult unless I get stuck in a wheel chair or something. (=

I'm managing as well, but I'm also cursing myself for the decision to make my fermentation chamber 1 meter high with the only opening at the top.

rmccask

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 3, 2013
VA
Just remember, you are only as old as you feel and personally.... I feel like drinking more mead.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
After chucking around 300 bales of hay yesterday and cleaning twice my usual number of horse stalls today, I'm about there too... time for a beer or a mead or a something... although I suspect a nap would do me best :p you know you're truly getting old when...

kuri

NewBee
Registered Member
May 5, 2013
Japan
After chucking around 300 bales of hay yesterday and cleaning twice my usual number of horse stalls today, I'm about there too... time for a beer or a mead or a something... although I suspect a nap would do me best :p you know you're truly getting old when...

... when given the option you'd choose a nap over sex in the afternoon.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns