PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing?

goatboy759
09-16-2013, 04:12 PM
I attempted to make my first batch of mead on July 26, 2013. I have no idea what I'm doing and need a little help. I've been making beer for a while but wanted to try making mead. What follows is my recipe and method (or lack thereof)

Ingredients:
6 lbs local wildflower honey
3 lbs organic clover honey
2 packets red star champagne yeast (prepared as per instructions)

1. Boiled honey with 2.5 gallons water for 15 minutes while skimming top.
2. Cooled a bit and added to .5 gallons water in 3 gallon glass carboy. ( I neglected to take into account displacement from the honey so some ended up in a growler into which I also 2 tablespoons of lemon peel) affixed airlocks to the top.
3. Forgot to take an initial gravity reading (too much homebrew while making)
Bubbling in the airlocks ceased about 2-3 weeks after I made them. The 3 gallon carboy is still cloudy while the .5 gallon carboy is clear.

My questions are should I rack these, and if so would it be okay to put the 3 gal. into a 5 gal.? According to the mead calculator the gravity should be around 1.092, If it's not should I be worried about stuck fermentation? If it is should I bottle? Are beer bottles fine?

Thanks for the help and cheers.

GntlKnigt1
09-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Taking SG radings and reporting them should help...not sure if fermentation is complete, stuck, or just slow. Have you tasted it? Smelled it? Post the additional information here....and welcome to mead making!

goatboy759
09-17-2013, 01:03 AM
Tasted the mead, tastes great. SG is 1.000, I'm thinking that's done. Racked into a 5 gallon carboy on top of diced apples I pasteurized in .25 gal water which I added to the carboy. I'm hoping there is some yeast still alive to ferment some of the apple sugars, if not, not a big deal. Put the extra mead I originally put in a growler into a different growler. I think I'm going to let it sit for another month and then bottle, Thoughts? Is it okay to bottle in beer bottles and just cap or should I cork them?

Chevette Girl
09-18-2013, 12:21 AM
Capped beer bottles is fine, just make sure your SG is stable for at least a couple of weeks before you bottle.