PDA

View Full Version : possible recipe, spiced maple mead

mmini1990
09-16-2013, 10:12 PM
Hi everyone! I am relatively new to mead making and a question about a possible recipe that I will be starting this weekend.
Here is what I'm thinking, anyone with greater knowledge than me who is willing to share some insight would be greatly appreciated.

3 gallon batch.

Using tupilo honey, and bread A Canadian maple. Still a little off on what the specific proportions should be.

Wyeast dry mead yeast.
Energizer and nutrient
Cinnamon
Clove
And other allspice or nutmeg

I'm hoping for this to be a bit of a higher alcohol volume.

I was also dabbling with the idea of either sweet orange or vanilla.

I'm mainly concerned with the proportion of honey and maple, as well as the yeast I have. I'm wanting a semi sweet preferably.

Thanks for any insight!!

wowbagger
09-17-2013, 09:40 AM
A couple years ago I made a 'Christmas Mead' that was similar to this.

For a gallon I Used 2 lb honey.and 1 lb maple syrup,then 1 stick cinnamon. I also added some cranberry juice. When it went dry I bback sweetened with about the same ratio of sugars.

came out fantastic but it took a while.

good luck!

mmini1990
09-17-2013, 01:16 PM
I was thinking 7honey and 3 maple and back it with a bit more maple later on. I really want the taste of maple not the hint but a face full. But not in a sweet way if you fallow me lol. I don't think that makes sense but ya.

Im happy yours turned out good. That gives me hope! Thanks for the reply!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Midnight Sun
09-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Never used maple before, so no advice there. Would love to at some point though.

Recommendations:

1. Do a search for "acerglyn", mead made with maple syrup. Some hits will come up that might help out. Here is a link to a recipe I've always wanted to try: click. (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9177) Looks like a 3:2 honey/maple ratio.

2. Consider using a different yeast. Wyeast 4632 (Dry Mead) has something of a poor reputation around these parts. You'll want something clean if you're going to go for a higher alcohol content, maybe KV1116?

3. Speaking of higher alcohol content, consider between 10-12% AVB. For one, fermentation is cleaner and it will age faster. You'll be able to evaluate and fine tune the recipe of your finished mead sooner. Also, you will need less fermentables, so your batch will be cheaper. Also, don't forget that higher ABV does not necessarily mean better.

There you go. One last recommendation, but not recipe related: please make one post per topic. Now you (and the rest of us!) have to track two topics unless a moderator decides to combine threads.

Chevette Girl
09-17-2013, 10:12 PM
2. Consider using a different yeast. Wyeast 4632 (Dry Mead) has something of a poor reputation around these parts. You'll want something clean if you're going to go for a higher alcohol content, maybe KV1116?

Actually I think the dry mead one is OK, it's the sweet mead one that's notoriously finicky...

mmini1990
09-18-2013, 08:33 AM
Never used maple before, so no advice there. Would love to at some point though.

Recommendations:

1. Do a search for "acerglyn", mead made with maple syrup. Some hits will come up that might help out. Here is a link to a recipe I've always wanted to try: click. (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9177) Looks like a 3:2 honey/maple ratio.

3. Speaking of higher alcohol content, consider between 10-12% AVB. For one, fermentation is cleaner and it will age faster. You'll be able to evaluate and fine tune the recipe of your finished mead sooner. Also, you will need less fermentables, so your batch will be cheaper. Also, don't forget that higher ABV does not necessarily mean better.

There you go. One last recommendation, but not recipe related: please make one post per topic. Now you (and the rest of us!) have to track two topics unless a moderator decides to combine threads.

Thanks for the help! Sorry about the 2 posts. I did not realize there was a non premium member recipe forum until after I posted this one. If a moderator world combine them that would be great!

I was not assuming higher as abv means better. I just like a bit of a stronger bite in my brews.

And I will be looking into new yeasts today as well I have a few others at home.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2