PDA

View Full Version : First time brewing

jon
09-19-2013, 06:29 AM
Im trying to make a gallon of mead following the ancient orange method. However, where i live honey is really expensive, could i substitute a lb of honey with a lb of brown sugar? so 2 lb honey 1lb brown sugar?

fatbloke
09-19-2013, 07:20 AM
Im trying to make a gallon of mead following the ancient orange method. However, where i live honey is really expensive, could i substitute a lb of honey with a lb of brown sugar? so 2 lb honey 1lb brown sugar?
You could but what the result would be like is anyones guess....

Where are that honey is so expensive ? The only member I've seen to have such issues is Kuri, and he's in Japan....so high cost isn't a surprise...

jon
09-19-2013, 10:21 PM
im in hawaii :/ im lookin at 6-8$ a lb vs 1.29 for a lb of brown sugar.... when you say what the result would be like is anyones guess what do you mean? isnt brown sugar used in various wines and finnish mead? what would be a better substitute?

Shelley
09-20-2013, 03:08 PM
im in hawaii :/ im lookin at 6-8$ a lb vs 1.29 for a lb of brown sugar.... when you say what the result would be like is anyones guess what do you mean? isnt brown sugar used in various wines and finnish mead? what would be a better substitute?

See if you can find a local beekeeper willing to sell you on a quart basis (about 3 pounds which is what you'll want for a sweet mead) instead of buying it in pound-sized jars. Maybe you can find someone who's got a bit too much honey to use, but not quite enough to sell at market, and is happy to do a "farm gate" sale. Maybe you can find a small beekeeper willing to barter.

Hawaii has many bee clubs; if you don't know a beekeeper, then try and get in touch with one through the clubs. I run the Finger Lakes Beekeepers Club in New York and when we get these requests I always forward them to our members.

Personally, I think that if you want to make mead, you need to use honey. It's not just the sugars that turn your honey into wine, but the floral flavors of the honey inform the finished mead. Orange blossom honey makes a different mead than goldenrod honey. Even from my own bee yard, the meads I make off of my spring honeys taste different than my fall honey meads.

Midnight Sun
09-20-2013, 06:15 PM
Where are that honey is so expensive ? The only member I've seen to have such issues is Kuri, and he's in Japan....so high cost isn't a surprise...

Nothing to contribute, just off topic: Jon's prices are about the same as mine, at least from local folks or imported in bulk by the LHBS. If I dare try shipping it on my own then the price bumps up to $10/pound for most varieties. One of life's major downsides to living in one of the non-contiguous areas of the US.

wowbagger
09-21-2013, 01:46 PM
There's really no 'substitute' for honey. Mead is mead because it's from fermented honey as opposed to rye, grapes, corn, etc.

That being said, you CAN use brown sugar as an adjunct in both mead and beer. I have a cyser recipe that uses 2lb honey and 1lb brown sugar in apple juice (fforone gallon).

ScotRob
09-22-2013, 05:09 PM
If you want to substitute honey for sugar it's worth remembering that in an average honey only about 70-75% is actually fermentable sugar (the rest is water with a bit of protein present as well)....therefore 1 lb of honey would not give you the same amount of fermentable sugar as 1 lb of actual refined sugar. So, if you want to substitute you need to allow for this in your calculations or you risk ending up with something sweeter and/or stronger than you desire

fatbloke
09-22-2013, 08:55 PM
Well, I was just looking at Beefolks website and at 260$US, plus 115$US, and then just as a guesstimate using a generic Honolulu ZIP, it did work out at about 6.90$ per lb using the cheapest price for sensible parcel shipping (as far as I could work out).

Fair enough, but as it translates to about 3.90 here, it's higher than some varietals, but not the highest price. About mid-range for a decent varietal, so over all, not bad IMO - but that's relative isn't it.

I'm thinking that food prices are likely a bit higher here than generally found in the US, so maybe that works out proportionally higher in the Islands......

And those numbers were worked out using a 5 gallon bucket price........

There's farming etc on the Islands, so surely it must be possible to use one of the ideas of trying to hook up with a local bee keeper ?

mannye
09-22-2013, 09:20 PM
Hmmmm i have to check to make sure, but I think that SueBee honey is about 7 bucks a pound at the local grocery store here in Miami Beach... so it's not that crazy expensive. But I may be wrong.

fatbloke
09-23-2013, 04:27 AM
Hmmmm i have to check to make sure, but I think that SueBee honey is about 7 bucks a pound at the local grocery store here in Miami Beach... so it's not that crazy expensive. But I may be wrong.
I'd suspect that its gonna depend on how much the food fascists can extract from the local areas, depending on demographic etc.....

A bit harder to work out from this distance :D

mannye
09-23-2013, 05:36 PM
Yes. I should be a good "gotmeader" and be at the grocery store right now but alas, it's 5:25pm here in Miami and you know what that means:http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/24/mapu3a8a.jpg

Hey! That's an empty pint!!!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/24/me2ugebu.jpg

That's better.