PDA

View Full Version : My first try-Need advice and tips

Lest
09-19-2013, 06:56 PM
Hi all,
I'm in my first occasion with homemade mead. Currently I used 1 KG of pure honey, 3 liters of spring water, cinnamon and orange in cooking.
I'm using Lalvin yeast ICV D-47. Yesterday i put the yeast in the bottled honey with some orange peel, which has a tube to another water bottle for the Co2. After 15 minutes tiny bubbles was observed in mead. This morning there were many bubbles in the bottle of mead, its a party!!! but in the water bottle I do not see any bubbles out. Does the yeast is active? Is it normal?:confused: The tube is fairly thick and long.
The ambient temperature is about 20-25 C. Its spain. I dont know if this is going to be a odor mead...
How long does the fermentation? I read that about 2 weeks.
Should I expect to stop seeing bubbles?
Any advice will be grateful;)

Medsen Fey
09-20-2013, 12:07 PM
If you can keep the temp below 22C, you'll be happier (and so will the yeast). This can be done by putting it in a basin of water and covering the fermenter with a wet towel.

If tube is not causing bubbling in you container with water, the seal is not good and the CO2 is leaking out from your container. You can try adjusting it, or you can ignore it and just watch the bubbling. However, to determine the complettion of fermentation, you need a hydrometer to measure the gravity.

If you haven't looked at the NewBee Guide (see link to the left of this page), it is well worth reading.

sent from my THINGAMABOB with WHATCHAMACALLIT

Medsen Fey
09-20-2013, 12:08 PM
And WELCOME TO GOTMEAD!!!

sent from my THINGAMABOB with WHATCHAMACALLIT

K5MOW
09-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Roger

Lest
09-20-2013, 12:44 PM
So its a fail that the Co2 its leaking out? It's weird, because I put plastic wrap around closed and tight with duct tape and it seems not. It's good advice to change the balloon trick? That could ruin the mead (by o2)? In the bottle of mead, there is much activity.
Thanks!

kchaystack
09-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Actually at the early point of fermentation the yeast need oxygen. But even later on small amounts will not hurt the mead. If there is bubbling it is fermenting. So no, it is not a fail.

I second buying a hydrometer, and reading the newbee guide :

Lest
09-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Ok, thanks all! I am a total newbee on these ;) in my country the home mead its really 'home style' and its not very proffesional. So in the tutorials that i havent seen nobody uses a Hydrometer. Only, "ok, just put the mead for 3 or 4 weeks and go!".
So for the next time i will buy a good airlock ;) and a hydrometer
I will read all the tutorial :) thanks for all people, that is a good forum

Lest
09-20-2013, 01:08 PM
And another very silly question, if there is a leak, oxygen may enter and ruin turning it into vinegar? It would be bad that the mead was ruined after what it cost me to make it :)
Thank you for your wisdom

kchaystack
09-20-2013, 01:32 PM
That won't be a big concern during fermentation, the CO2 created will drive off the O2. Once that is done, then it might be a problem, but if you are good about sanitizing your tools, the chances of infection are pretty low. Once the fermentation is done, I would switch to the balloon trick until you can get a proper airlock.

Lest
09-20-2013, 01:56 PM
So to avoid future problems, and if you say that now the o2 not be a problem (it's been 2 days since I started the fermentation) ... would you recommend changing to use the balloon trick now????

kchaystack
09-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Time is a really bad way to tell where in the ferment you are.

But, it you not hurt to switch to a balloon with a pinhole poked into the end. :D

Medsen Fey
09-20-2013, 06:58 PM
When the mead is finished you can remove the tube and cover the opening with Saran wrap and use a rubber band to hold it on tight so air doesn't get in.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

LestAdoneus
09-23-2013, 06:39 AM
Hi guys,
Something happened to my user, that i cant post, so i create a new one. I have used the ballon trick and works ;) so it can be a good end.
Can i taste the mead at any point? Actually have passedl 4 days, and the question is about my health and the flavours :)

fatbloke
09-23-2013, 06:49 AM
Hi guys,
Something happened to my user, that i cant post, so i create a new one. I have used the ballon trick and works ;) so it can be a good end.
Can i taste the mead at any point? Actually have passedl 4 days, and the question is about my health and the flavours :)
Not sure about the last username, but it shows up as a guest, so maybe you didn't complete registration or whatever ?.......

As for tasting anytime ? yes, just make sure that whatever you use to draw the tasting sample has been sanitised properly.

You'll find that it will change, from nice and pleasantly sweet, possibly all the way down to "bloody hell, that's horrible"..... Young meads often don't taste good. We all forget that honey is good when sweet, but once the yeast has done it's thing and fermented all the sugars, it tastes completely different and needs to be aged to recover some of the honey characteristics (and how much/many of those is pretty much a guess as the yeast/honey combo will differ each time, as will nutrients and other flavouring elements)......

LestAdoneus
09-23-2013, 08:32 AM
So, the fermentation time was 3-4 weeks more or less no?, and the taste goes on to an awfull sweet. How many time has to past to recover that sweet taste?

kchaystack
09-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Again, you really can not tell how long a fermentation will last. You have to take hydrometer readings.

LestAdoneus
09-23-2013, 09:57 AM
I am waiting to have one ;) thanks a lot for your wishdom