PDA

View Full Version : Longest EVER lag time?

ScotRob
09-22-2013, 05:13 PM
So I'm sitting here with a 24 hour old batch of blackberry melomel and no sign of fermentation (my own fault for pitching my 1116 straight into the must instead of re-hydrating). Previous experience tells me that I need to wait anything up to 4 or 5 days before I start to worry about the lack of fermentation so far, so I'm not complaining about that yet or asking for advice....I am sure it will come good in the end with some warmth and aeration............However, I was just curious to know what is the longest lag time you have ever had with any yeast when making mead? Are some yeast strains particularly known for long (or short) lags?

fatbloke
09-22-2013, 08:30 PM
So I'm sitting here with a 24 hour old batch of blackberry melomel and no sign of fermentation (my own fault for pitching my 1116 straight into the must instead of re-hydrating). Previous experience tells me that I need to wait anything up to 4 or 5 days before I start to worry about the lack of fermentation so far, so I'm not complaining about that yet or asking for advice....I am sure it will come good in the end with some warmth and aeration............However, I was just curious to know what is the longest lag time you have ever had with any yeast when making mead? Are some yeast strains particularly known for long (or short) lags?
Nah, not with mead, but I had a Chenin Blanc kit that I used some of the concentrate for back sweetening, when I went to use some more, there was a good growth of wild yeast/mold growing, so I strained it through fine cloth to remove as much of the mold as I could see, then sulphited it.

Then without thinking, pitched the yeast and sealed the bucket.

I kept opening it to check every other day, but didn't then know about aeration and stuff like that.

It did start, but it took 28 days, before enough of the sulphites had dissipated and I was about to dump it down the drain as a bad lot, when I noticed small bubbles rising.

It fermented dry, as it was supposed to and was used for topping up.

The yeast was EC-1118 that came with the kit in the first place......

Chevette Girl
09-29-2013, 02:02 PM
I don't think I've ever had to wait longer than a couple days, the only batch I had real trouble with had been sorbated.