• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Amount of yeast in 5 gallon batch

Barrel Char Wood Products

LiquidRainbowX

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 18, 2013
I read the mead newbee guide but I'm still kind of a bit unclear on how much yeast(DC 47) I'm supposed to use in my 5 gallon batch (with 1 gallon of honey and filtered water as my recipe) and when I'm supposed to add in my nutrients / energizer.

I'm sorry if this is a bit redundant but I really want to get to making my mead :). I'm going to be digging around in the forum in the mean time and hopefully pick up on some tips. (Any additional tips are much appreciated, feel free to throw in whatever comes to mind)

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
It really depends on gravity of the must and viability of your yeast.
If the must is 1.100 and below, 5 grams of newly purchased D47 should be fine. If your gravity is higher, double or quadruple starting yeast. All of this assumes newly purchased yeast. If the yeast is old or stored in bad conditions, make a starter. I routinely use 20 grams for everything. It tends to make fast fermentations and removes the guess work.

By the way, D47 makes some aweful fusels at temperatures above 68 F.
If you cannot control the temp, use KIV-1116, DV10, or EC1118 (in order of preference).

LiquidRainbowX

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 18, 2013
Thank you. Okay so here's another question.. what if I kept it in a room I could keep air conditioned at 62 degrees fairly well. Also, I think I remember hearing that the fermentation temperature is higher than the actual room temperature in which it's sitting.

Is there an optimum temperature where you don't produce any off flavors or is it just keeping it below 68 degrees that is important?

danr

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
The recommended range for D-47 is 59° to 68°F. You want to maintain the temperature of the mead below 68°F when using D-47, and staying in the lower to middle side of that range is probably safer. In my experience, the temperature of the mead at the peak of fermentation can be up to 10°F higher than the ambient temperature of the room or enclosure in which the mead is fermenting.

The best way to maintain fermentation temperatures that can not be achieved in the available room temperature(s) is using a temperature controller with a spare refrigerator or freezer. If this is not possible, you are probably better off selecting another yeast. You can refer to the Yeast Table on this website for the yeasts mentioned by loveofrose and other options, but I caution you to check the manufacturer's published info - for example the temperature range listed for D-47 in the Yeast Table is much wider than that listed by Lavin and than experience suggests.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
What is it about the yeast list that Lallemand publish for all their ranges that people don't understand ?

It is most likely that all the yeasts will ferment outside the stated ranges.....

That the ranges are quoted because that is the possible temperature differences, likely on used/tested on grape musts, where no off flavours were found......

And that the other data is just confirming their findings.....

So while we're using a honey must which brings extra, different issues to those found with grape musts, if you use their data and then use the hive mind from here, you should be able to get a reasonable to good result.....

If you use D47 above their stated temp, don't be surprised if you get fusels. K1-V1116 is indeed, a seemingly much more capable yeast - considered by many to be the "swiss army knife" of yeasts.....

kuri

NewBee
Registered Member
May 5, 2013
Japan
What is it about the yeast list that Lallemand publish for all their ranges that people don't understand ?

"When fermented at low temperatures (below 16°C) and with the right addition of nutrients, ICV-K1 [= K1-V1116] is one of the more floral ester producing yeast "

Is this meant to imply that it produces more esters under 16C than above 16C? Or does it only mean it produces more esters under 16C than other yeasts produce under 16C?

(Well, you did ask, fatbloke. :p )

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I ended up with one very estery batch of cider from K1V but it was at the same temperature as every other batch I make (high teens to low twenties in celsius). I don't think I added any nutrients and one of the five gallons had started fermenting wild before I got it into the bucket with the K1V.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
"When fermented at low temperatures (below 16°C) and with the right addition of nutrients, ICV-K1 [= K1-V1116] is one of the more floral ester producing yeast "

Is this meant to imply that it produces more esters under 16C than above 16C? Or does it only mean it produces more esters under 16C than other yeasts produce under 16C?

(Well, you did ask, fatbloke. :p )
The yeast list gives the different yeasts predominant ability and I believe that k1v1116 is an esters yeast.

A.Stephenson (Alex) has posted about fermenting k1v at lower temps.which should be enough of a guide to assist.....

I'd guess that it's most likely that it will always be an ester producing yeast but as with anything to do with honey, its liable to be rather unpredictable. ....

More work would need to be done to confirm one way or tbe other (and not by me, I'm happy to use it for its other abilities).......

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns