PDA

View Full Version : JAO question

MikeTheElder
09-29-2013, 07:29 PM
Well I've put myself on a bit of a spot, I mentioned to my sister that i am making Mead, she "suggested" I bring some to our Thanksgiving family get- together and I said I would.

The problem is the only Mead I have going is a couple of Cysers that won't be ready until NEXT Thanksgiving:(

Now my question is....

Would JAO be ready by Thankgiving?

or did I just step on my tongue?:D

K5MOW
09-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Well if you get it started right away it might be.

Roger

joemirando
09-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Well I've put myself on a bit of a spot, I mentioned to my sister that i am making Mead, she "suggested" I bring some to our Thanksgiving family get- together and I said I would.

The problem is the only Mead I have going is a couple of Cysers that won't be ready until NEXT Thanksgiving:(

Now my question is....

Would JAO be ready by Thankgiving?

or did I just step on my tongue?:D

Can't it be both? ;)

THAT'S a really tight schedule. The thing about mead in general and JAOM in particular (in my limited experience) is that everything is variable. A little pH bump here, a little temperature shift there, a little more or less orange, dissolved minerals in the water, changing tides, atmospheric pressure, full moon, new moon, harvest moon... well, you get the idea.

Having to have one ready for turkey day, I think I'd probably go for a low-octane traditional. If you figured on 10% ABV, nurtured it with nutrient, energizer and aeration, let it go dry, cold crashed it, stabilized and backsweetened... hmmmm... you MIGHT just make it. I mean, you're talking about... what? Seven or eight weeks?

I think I would bypass the JAO for T-day (make it anyway, christmas is further off and it should be ready by then).

Instead, I think I would go for a lower ABV traditional that you could backsweeten.

I did this once when I wanted to re-use the yeast, and it worked out quite nicely...

I made a 1 gallon batch that I had intended to go dry at 14%. The original plan was to stabilize and backsweeten. But I didn't want to stress the yeast as the available sugar got to miniscule proportions.

So what I did was to let it get to 12%, cold crash it (freezer for 2 hours, then 2 weeks in the fridge to let the yeast settle to the bottom), racked it onto the stabilizing chemicals (potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulphate [campden tablet]), let that sit for 24 hours and taste test. Because the yeast had not been stressed, there was no harsh burning taste, the sweetness of the remaining honey was perhaps a little sweeter than I had wanted, but it was quite smooth and pleasing.

I degassed it all along, except for during the cold crashing, and I fined it with.. hmm... either sparkloid or bentonite (pretty sure it was bentonite, but not positive).

It cleared up and I bottled it. It wasn't fancy, but it was a pretty respectable mead, considering the whole thing from mixing the must to bottling took me 4 or 5 weeks.

You could also add a touch of vanilla (but just a touch) to smooth out one or two of the rough edges.

I am a newbee with still rather limited experience compared to just about everyone here, and this is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure that others with more experience will be along shortly to tell me I'm full of... well, you know...

Joe

loveofrose
09-29-2013, 09:06 PM
Short answer - no, it won't be ready in time.

You could try a gallon of my one month mead. I'll post the recipe here.

Bray's One Month Mead aka "the BOMM" - 1 gallon
No heat method.
Added Orange Blossom honey to SG of 1.096 in 1 gallon jugs. (I just draw a line at the water level, pour out 3.2 cups of water, then add honey to the line)
Added 3/4 tsp of 1:2 DAP:Fermaid K; also, add this at 2/3 and 1/3 sugar break.
Add 3/4 tsp potassium carbonate.
Shake like hell to aerate.
Pitched Wyeast 1388 - Belgian Strong Ale activated overnight. (if the jug is too full, pour out 1/2 cup of must and add back later)
Aerate daily by shaking.
Pitching temperature 68 F, but the temperature in my house fluctuates from 70-80 F with no off flavors. Mannye kept his temp between 78-80 F and declared it drinkable in 2 weeks.

Ready to drink in 30 days or less. You can backsweeten to taste.

joemirando
09-29-2013, 09:15 PM
I'm making a note of that one!

MikeTheElder
09-29-2013, 09:58 PM
That looks like we have a winner. Thanks

Short answer - no, it won't be ready in time.

You could try a gallon of my one month mead. I'll post the recipe here.

Bray's One Month Mead aka "the BOMM" - 1 gallon
No heat method.
Added Orange Blossom honey to SG of 1.096 in 1 gallon jugs. (I just draw a line at the water level, pour out 3.2 cups of water, then add honey to the line)
Added 3/4 tsp of 1:2 DAP:Fermaid K; also, add this at 2/3 and 1/3 sugar break.
Add 3/4 tsp potassium carbonate.
Shake like hell to aerate.
Pitched Wyeast 1388 - Belgian Strong Ale activated overnight. (if the jug is too full, pour out 1/2 cup of must and add back later)
Aerate daily by shaking.
Pitching temperature 68 F, but the temperature in my house fluctuates from 70-80 F with no off flavors. Mannye kept his temp between 78-80 F and declared it drinkable in 2 weeks.

Ready to drink in 30 days or less. You can backsweeten to taste.

Now if our local homebrew shop has the yeast....or something comparable, I'm good to go.

Thanks again.

Joe, I'm going with your suggestion and make a gallon (or three) of JAOM for Christmas also.

K5MOW
09-30-2013, 06:48 AM
I was thinking about Christmas it could be done. Yes I don't think JAO could done by thanksgiving.

Roger

K5MOW
09-30-2013, 06:48 AM
You could do a wine.

Roger

loveofrose
09-30-2013, 08:49 AM
NOTE: It has to be Wyeast 1388! There is nothing comparable!
See the Belgian Ale Yeast Experiment thread if you have any questions. Everything is documented including tastings.
You can order the yeast off amazon.

MikeTheElder
10-01-2013, 06:54 PM
I started 2 batches, 1 with 1388 and one with 3942 Belgian wheat ale yeast, they only had 1 smack pack of 1388 so I picked one with similar specs and it had nice ester profile on the yeast chart at the brew store .:D

Besides that, I like to experiment. 8)

There is no such thing as a failed experiment as long as useful data was gathered. :)

bairdo3000
08-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Sorry LOR, but I've had a look through most of your threads here and at homebrew and I'm still unclear: Do I use the WHOLE smack pack of 1388 for a 1 gallon batch? The pack says it's enough for 5 gals so I'm not sure!

Ta,
Bairdo.

sandman
08-06-2014, 05:38 PM
A straight up by the book JAO should be finished by Thanksgiving. I'd start it this week for sure though.

mannye
08-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Sorry LOR, but I've had a look through most of your threads here and at homebrew and I'm still unclear: Do I use the WHOLE smack pack of 1388 for a 1 gallon batch? The pack says it's enough for 5 gals so I'm not sure!

Ta,
Bairdo.

Yes it's the whole smack pak for 1 gallon. For 5 gallons you make a 1.5 liter starter using the smack pak.