PDA

View Full Version : Tiny piece of mold early in the process..

OrganicTruth
10-02-2013, 01:32 PM
I'm thinking back when i started the process and had it in a stainless steel pot, and covered for a few days with the metal lid, I noticed a tiny piece of white mold floating on the top but nothing else. I removed it and moved the mead into two glass bottles with loosely closed lid, in order to ferment better. Since then I haven't noticed more mold though and hope it's ok. I just tried some today, I hope the sour taste isn't from that?

Chevette Girl
10-03-2013, 12:47 AM
Mold doesn't usually tast sour, it tastes moldy... fermenting must will taste sour because there's dissolved CO2 and the yeast have been eating the sugars. Also, honey is fairly acidic so the pH will be low, sourness is how most people describe the taste of acidity (think lemon juice) so that could be it too you can't really tell when there's still sugar, but once it's gone you can taste things...

OrganicTruth
10-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Mold doesn't usually tast sour, it tastes moldy... fermenting must will taste sour because there's dissolved CO2 and the yeast have been eating the sugars. Also, honey is fairly acidic so the pH will be low, sourness is how most people describe the taste of acidity (think lemon juice) so that could be it too you can't really tell when there's still sugar, but once it's gone you can taste things...

I guess how can you tell between moldy or sour taste lol. Wasn't like lemon. If it's still fizzing, doesn't that mean that there's still sugars left to ferment though? I do notice lots of must on the bottom. I tried filtering it out with a metal mesh, but it's not thin enough and still seeps through.

kchaystack
10-03-2013, 02:07 PM
Moldy and sour are 2 different tastes. As we have said in your other thread, the sour is probably dissolved CO2.

No, fizzing does not mean sugar is left. It could be dissolved CO2 that is coming out of solution.

The only way to tell if fermentation is still going or if it is done is hydrometer readings, or some other device that will tell you that the sugars are not being used by the yeast.

Must is the liquid. The solids you see is called lees. It is dead/inactive yeast and other solids that are settling out.

Please read the new bee guide. It explains all of this in FAR more detail.