PDA

View Full Version : Dang, can't buy THAT kind of publicity

RachmaelBenApplebaum
10-03-2013, 02:40 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24184527

Article on BBC about the resurgence of mead culture in America. Woo Hoo!

anir dendroica
10-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Great article! Does B. Nektar really produce 1100 cases per week?!

joemirando
10-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Awesome! Hell, if mead becomes mainstream, I'll have to find something else to do! ;)

Matrix4b
10-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Awesome! Hell, if mead becomes mainstream, I'll have to find something else to do! ;)

Nope, you just keep brewing what you like. And enjoy it. Just because it's becoming mainstream doesn't mean we should stop. I mean beer is mainstream and you still have home brewers that brew beer. You do it because you love it. And the chances of a comercial brewer doing the exact recipie that you have and have grown to like is very slim, unless you become that comercial brewer.

Matrix

fatbloke
10-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Certainly a good read......

And those who put money, time, effort and commitment to their mead making, all power and success to everyone....

GntlKnigt1
10-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Good article.... Maybe what mead needs is a 'superfood' reputation ...with lots of antioxidants.....pomegranate, or lycopene(?), or whatever.

joemirando
10-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Nope, you just keep brewing what you like. And enjoy it. Just because it's becoming mainstream doesn't mean we should stop. I mean beer is mainstream and you still have home brewers that brew beer. You do it because you love it. And the chances of a comercial brewer doing the exact recipie that you have and have grown to like is very slim, unless you become that comercial brewer.

Matrix

Oh, I'd STILL make mead. My last batch of 14% ABV traditional backsweetened came out awesome. No way I'm giving this up.

But I WOULD have to find a non-mainstream hobby to replace the old non-mainstream hobby that had recently become mainstream. See? ;)

Joe

danr
10-04-2013, 12:03 AM
I just posted a link to THIS (http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/Oct/01/oceanside-mead-new-sweet/?#article-copy) article in another thread, but I was really glad to see an article about a local meadery on the front page of the San Diego Union Tribune this week.

It's nice to see mead getting some good publicity.

Dan

Mirakk
10-04-2013, 12:34 AM
But I WOULD have to find a non-mainstream hobby to replace the old non-mainstream hobby that had recently become mainstream. See? ;)

Joe

Pick up straight razor shaving!

mannye
10-04-2013, 01:03 AM

Been doing that for a while.

joemirando
10-04-2013, 01:25 AM

Been there, done that. Now where is that damned strop? ;)

Joe

joemirando
10-04-2013, 01:26 AM
Been doing that for a while.

I don't anymore, since.... The Incident :eek:

Joe

Chevette Girl
10-04-2013, 07:14 AM
I don't anymore, since.... The Incident :eek:

Joe

...but chicks dig scars? ;D

joemirando
10-04-2013, 07:47 AM
...but chicks dig scars? ;D

Sure... IF it's where they can see it. <LOL!>

Joe

joemirando
10-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Good article.... Maybe what mead needs is a 'superfood' reputation ...with lots of antioxidants.....pomegranate, or lycopene(?), or whatever.

Hmmm... "Not animal, vegetable or mineral. Not even VEGANS can get pissy about it."

Yeah, I know, technically it is an animal product, but screw 'em. It'll be good for 'em. <G>

mannye
10-04-2013, 09:25 AM
Ha. I had several incidents while learning but now they are few and far between and less severe when they do happen.

I also have a DE for when I don't have 30 min to shave. Almost as good as a straight.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/04/syzynare.jpg

The perfect shave kit. The brown color of the scuttle hides the blood. Lol.

RachmaelBenApplebaum
10-06-2013, 01:33 AM
I just posted a link to THIS (http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/Oct/01/oceanside-mead-new-sweet/?#article-copy) article in another thread, but I was really glad to see an article about a local meadery on the front page of the San Diego Union Tribune this week.

It's nice to see mead getting some good publicity.

Dan

My mum lives in San Diego, had some good mead there too. I guess what I mean is this is in national news, the bbc gets a pretty diverse audience.

p.s. shaving? Aren't MEN supposed to have BEARDS? tsk tsk tsk...

GntlKnigt1
10-06-2013, 03:00 AM

Joe

So... maybe you have to show them anyway !!

GntlKnigt1
10-06-2013, 04:32 AM
Here's another one that UKTony posted elsewhere. If you've never been to Portland, Maine, it's a great little town, and home to Shipyard Ale, a craft beer I had there once.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24184527 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24184527)

fatbloke
10-06-2013, 05:55 AM
-----snip-----I guess what I mean is this is in national news, the bbc gets a pretty diverse audience.

Ah, well you should remember, the BBC seems to have a good reputation for impartiality outside the UK, what with the diversity or the "World Service" and all that.

That's not to say that they aren't just producing a less slanted propoganda for the British Government here, on a number of subjects considered "sensitive".

Hence it doesn't "seem" to be as insular as many of the news outlets that emanate from the US..... I'm just not so sure about that......

And no, it's not national, it's international. while it might be focusing on US based mead makers, there's plenty of us "rank amateurs" here who will have found it of interest.......

Good luck to all the mazers who've been highlighted......

fatbloke
10-06-2013, 05:56 AM
Ha. I had several incidents while learning but now they are few and far between and less severe when they do happen.

I also have a DE for when I don't have 30 min to shave. Almost as good as a straight.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/04/syzynare.jpg

The perfect shave kit. The brown color of the scuttle hides the blood. Lol.
Hark at old Sweeney Todd here !.......

He'll be opening a pie shop next....... :eek:;);D

Chevette Girl
10-06-2013, 01:03 PM

Joe

What WERE you shaving?? :eek:

My hubby (when he bothers to shave) uses a straight razor, I think he's only nicked himself once. And he just goes wet, doesn't lather...

And if I want less biased news, I check out BBC's take on things...

mannye
10-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Hark at old Sweeney Todd here !.......

He'll be opening a pie shop next....... :eek:;);D

Finally something to serve with sweet mead. ;)

RachmaelBenApplebaum
10-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Ah, well you should remember, the BBC seems to have a good reputation for impartiality outside the UK, what with the diversity or the "World Service" and all that.

That's not to say that they aren't just producing a less slanted propoganda for the British Government here, on a number of subjects considered "sensitive".

Hence it doesn't "seem" to be as insular as many of the news outlets that emanate from the US..... I'm just not so sure about that......

And no, it's not national, it's international. while it might be focusing on US based mead makers, there's plenty of us "rank amateurs" here who will have found it of interest.......

Good luck to all the mazers who've been highlighted......

I guess what I'm saying is it reaches a wider audience than, say, FOX news or CNN. I also read the Economist on occasion, which is decidedly conservative, but is still head and shoulders above some of the news you get in America. As for the "national" thing I'd had a few by the time I wrote that, my bad.