PDA

View Full Version : fermentation stuck to yingyang

shubert69
10-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Hi Folks

I converted the sweet mead recipe found in the "Compleat Meadmaker" to a one gallon batch

1 Gallon of water
3.75 pounds of Honey (5 cups) Orange blossom Honey
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
.25 tsp yeast energizer
1/2 packet (2.5gram) lalvin 71b-1122 yeast

The OG was 1.11 and the last reading (before the "oh $%^$ it stuck) was 1.060 so 7.5% alcohol more or less? No activities.. No little happy bubbles..
At that time I noticed the PH at 1.32.. I increase this to 1.36

So it's way too sweet therefore I added some additional water (about .25 gallon). And racked it

I re-pitch the same yeast (71b-1122).. no Go. So I re-pitch with EC-1118 as a lot of folks suggested.. still no go

My temp is also between the recommended 59-89.

So I'm at a complete loss as to what the must is thinking.

I'm also tempted to sing to it or read it a night time story...

I would really hate to waste all that orange blossom honey :(

kchaystack
10-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Your pH is 1.36? I would double check that.

If it is right that is way low. You need to get it to 3.4- 3.8.

Medsen Fey
10-07-2013, 08:37 PM
How did you measure the pH? It would be extraordinary for the pH to be below 2.5 - I've never seen one lower than that.

What is the temperature? 59 to 89 is a huge range and at 59 it can impede a challenged fermentation.

When did you add the EC-1118?
Have you aerated it since then?
Do you have potassium bicarbonate or calcium carbonate available?
Is your energizer a tan powder?

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

anir dendroica
10-07-2013, 08:48 PM
Your pH is not 1.32 unless you added hydrochloric/sulfuric acid by mistake. It would burn your mouth to taste it at that level.

The lowest pH you could attain without harsh chemicals would be about 2.2 (pure lemon/lime juice), and as Medsen says 2.5 is about the lowest you will see in meadmaking. Assuming you already added some carbonate/bicarbonate, I recommend checking with a different meter before adding any more.

shubert69
10-09-2013, 08:07 AM
My apologies...The Ph was at 3.2..no 1.32. Must have been watching too much "breaking bad" lol

The good news is that fermentation is now slowly taking place :)

Indeed the energizer is Tan colored. I have aerated every day since I added the EC-1118.
I actually used baking soda to raise the Ph to 3.6.

I will try next time with a little less honey (4 or 4.5 cups instead of 5) and using the same quantities for water volume (1 gallon).

thanks for all the replies.. much appreciated

Medsen Fey
10-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Give it a tsp of the tan powder. This is a high-gravity batch and the yeast need lots of nutrient.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

ClubGonzo
10-25-2013, 06:18 PM
My apologies...The Ph was at 3.2..no 1.32. Must have been watching too much "breaking bad" lol

The good news is that fermentation is now slowly taking place :)

Indeed the energizer is Tan colored. I have aerated every day since I added the EC-1118.
I actually used baking soda to raise the Ph to 3.6.

I will try next time with a little less honey (4 or 4.5 cups instead of 5) and using the same quantities for water volume (1 gallon).

thanks for all the replies.. much appreciated

I have the same problem with several small show mead batches...fermentation seems to have slowed down severely or even stuck in some cases...I'm waiting for a new pH reader (my previous broke down recently) but I suspect that a low pH value is the perp in this scenario, as I've provided lots of nutrients and oxygen (aerated a lot in the beginning + loads of nutrients, did it again after two weeks when fermentation stalled visibly).

However, my question is essentially: will yeast cells impaired by low pH resume fermentation if the pH is raised again, in general? In my case it's been a month since first pitch. Will the cell stay dormant for that long, or do I have to fix the pH and re-pitch?

Medsen Fey
10-26-2013, 08:50 AM
However, my question is essentially: will yeast cells impaired by low pH resume fermentation if the pH is raised again, in general? In my case it's been a month since first pitch. Will the cell stay dormant for that long, or do I have to fix the pH and re-pitch?

There are no guarantees, but usually the yeast that are there will become active if the pH is raised. However it may take them a few days. If you don't get action you can repitch.

GntlKnigt1
10-26-2013, 05:59 PM
1/2 tsp nutrient and 1/4 energizer in a 5 to 6 gallon batch with no fruit or raisins.....I would guess yeasties may be on a hinger strike. Some raisins and/or some DAP might take care of it.