PDA

View Full Version : odd smell

Worldwidemoo
10-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Ok so i just started my first ever batch of strawberry melomel. After about 3 days of primary fermentation i am smelling an odd smell. I may be paranoid since it is my first ever mead i just wanted to get some opinions that may help. Its hard to describe the smell. Its not sulfurous it almost smells like bad strawberries. Hopefully someone can give me insight. My recipe is as follows.

2lbs Clover honey
2.5 lbs frozen strawberries
1 Campden tablet
1/2tsp Pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
2 tsp acid blend
Lalvin 71B yeast

MikeTheElder
10-08-2013, 07:57 PM
If fermentation is going well and you observed good sanitation when making your must the most likely thing you are smelling is the yeasties working on the strawberries.

I was startled at the smell the first time I made wine with fresh grapes, smelled like moldy grapes.

I wouldn't worry, as long as you don't smell sulphur or vinegar you should be fine.

Worldwidemoo
10-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Thank you. That calms me a bit since i was very careful with the sanitation.

Midnight Sun
10-09-2013, 01:22 AM
Welcome to Got Mead!

Agree with the previous poster, some meads produce stinky smells during fermentation. Other smell divine. Generally can't judge the quality of the final product based on fermentation odors.

Marshmallow Blue
10-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Agreed, fermenting strawberries in particular are known for their strangeness compared to unfermented strawberry flavor. I recently brewed a batch of Strawberry red currant hydromel and didn't ferment the strawberries and let it do the backsweetening. Came out great.

Chevette Girl
10-11-2013, 01:04 AM
Strawberries definitely go kind of weird with fermentation... kind of chemically.