PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!! i think i broke it

Worldwidemoo
10-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Ok so im freaking out a little bit first time making a real mead. The recipe follows. So i came home from work tonight and had found that all activity in my airlock had stopped. So i read up a little and everything said i should take a gravity reading. My starting gravity was at 1.090 (taken roughly 5 times to be sure) today roughly 5 days later it is currently at 1.000 i feel like this drop was way to fast and may have ruined the mead. I need suggestions as to how to what to do. Should i scrap it and start over or should i rack it out of the primary and into a secondary? PLEASE HELP:confused::confused::confused:

2lb clover honey
2lb strawberries
1 campden tablet
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp nutrient
1/2 energizer
2 tsp acid blend
lalvin 71b-1122 yeast

loveofrose
10-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Congrats. Your mead is done. Fast ferments are the best ferments! Let it age and drink it.

Chevette Girl
10-10-2013, 10:25 PM
Good job, when it says 1.000, you're done! Rack that puppy to secondary! (you do want to make sure you rack it off sediment when using 71B, I think you get something like about six weeks before it starts breaking down and releasing ickiness into your mead).

Don't worry about it going too fast, as long as the yeast is happy, the fermentation time doesn't really matter that much. I've heard of fermentations being complete in 24 hours.

Things that will speed up a fermentation: lower starting SG (I consider anything below 1.100 to be on the low side), warmer fermentation temperature (although certain yeasts can make problems when too warm), using a yeast like EC-1118, although it has been suggested that this yeast is so vigorous that it blows a lot of the flavour right out the airlock.

Things that can slow or stop a fermentation: too cool of a fermentation, not enough nutrients, too high of a starting gravity can cause osmotic shock when you pitch your yeast (I take special precautions if I make something starting higher than 1.125), too much acidity (for future reference, we all recommend skipping the acid blend listed in any mead recipe, you can add it to balance the taste at the end if you want but since honey has its own acidity, it often ends up dropping the pH too low in meads.