• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

JOAM Variant stuck?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Mirakk

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2013
Waukesha, WI
It's me again! This is my third batch of mead, and after whipping up the ingredients last night I woke up today and went to inspect the airlock activity only to find there was none!

Recipe is:

3.5lbs honey
Bottled Water to equal 1 gallon
1 orange sliced into 8 pieces
25 raisins
1 clove
1 cinnamon stick
pinch of nutmeg freshly grated
smaller pinch of allspice freshly ground

and 1 TBSP of Red Star active dry yeast.

Yeah, I know. I read the measurement of 1tsp wrong and put in a bunch more than I should have, but as near as I can tell this was my only mis-step. However, after 14 hours there's minimal foaming and next to no airlock activity. Maybe 1 beat per minute tops. I've shaken the hell out of it a few times to ensure a good mixture and proper aeration.

Sadly, I don't have a SG reading because.... it's JOAM. I didn't think it was really necessary as long as I followed the recipe. The room it is in is about 70F and dark.

Any ideas? Old yeast perhaps? I'd gotten it off the shelf at Pick N' Save and pitched it directly into the mixture before shaking. Should I just wait it out longer? At what point do I try re-pitching?

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Isn't there a Mirakk is SKYRIM?

Is Red Star bread yeast? I have no idea. The recipe calls for bread yeast, so if Red Star is regular bread yeast, you should be fine. Now, if you followed the instructions until now, why are you fretting? Did you check the date on the yeast? If it's old it will take longer to get going.

I know he says you can call if it doesn't start going right away, but just chill and wait a day or three. What's the temp where you are? If it's too cold it might be slowed down because of that.

Adding a tbsp vs a tsp shouldn't make any difference at all. The final volume of yeast will dwarf both those measurements.

Relax and have a beer while you wait for the mead.

Mirakk

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2013
Waukesha, WI
At 14 hours, its not stuck......

Keep swirling it, oh and take a gravity reading, as you'd need to have some guide to know whether its dropping or not.......

Some yeasts foam like hell, others less so.....

Thanks again. I'll take a reading tonight and keep an eye on it.

Mirakk

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2013
Waukesha, WI
Isn't there a Mirakk is SKYRIM?

Is Red Star bread yeast? I have no idea. The recipe calls for bread yeast, so if Red Star is regular bread yeast, you should be fine. Now, if you followed the instructions until now, why are you fretting? Did you check the date on the yeast? If it's old it will take longer to get going.

I know he says you can call if it doesn't start going right away, but just chill and wait a day or three. What's the temp where you are? If it's too cold it might be slowed down because of that.

Adding a tbsp vs a tsp shouldn't make any difference at all. The final volume of yeast will dwarf both those measurements.

Relax and have a beer while you wait for the mead.

Not sure about the Mirakk in skyrim. I didn't see them. I've had this name since 1999 in Everquest. Played a Dwarf Paladin.

Red Star is a local company here (milwaukee), and they make bread yeast (which I used), and wine yeasts (like montrachet etc).

It's cooling down around here, but the mead is in my basement which is heated. It's about 70F down there right now. The only reason I'm fretting is because he said it should be up in about 3 hours, and I hear most people say its going bananas by the next day. I've never used bread yeast before so I don't know what to expect.

In fact, I've still never actually drank anything I homebrewed yet.

Batch 1: 6 gallon Local Wildflower Traditional (Pitched 9/15/13)
Batch 2: 1 gallon Vanilla/Cinnamon Metheglyn (pitched 9/16/13)
Batch 3: This JOAM (pitched 10/10/13)

I'm super-green to being a mazer and learning how to use half the equipment as I go. I'd only assisted with the making of a braggot and a metheglyn before this, but decided to take the plunge.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
I've heard a few moans this side of the pond when it comes to the yeast.

It's not so helpful that Joe specified Fleischmann's as being a US brand, its unavailable, yet JAO's seem to come out fine using the locally packaged stuff so maybe just suggesting the use of standard/normal bread yeast, then qualifying not to use the fast acting stuff etc, might have been more helpful.

Equally, I'd guess there might be flavour or strength differences depending on where you are etc, though it maybe that the different brands of bread yeast are more similar than wine yeasts - hell or even that wine yeasts have just been studied more or that because the new world wine makers basically mimick historical, regional wine types, that the yeast producers have identified the regional strains to make sales and allow them to do that (and no, that's not a criticism of the new world winemakers, just fact that where they are, there is no local history of making local/different wines so they make what they know - which of course, is the wine types from "the old country").

Redstar may indeed have a plant in Milwaukee, and I was aware that they do produce bread yeast (seems others didn't), but the last time I tried some of their wine yeast it was packed and/or produced either in Serbia or Croatia (don't recall which, just that it was "former Yugoslavia")........

And no, its not available here as bread yeast either AFAIK..........

Mirakk

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2013
Waukesha, WI
Oh lord the smell. It's possible they scaled it back in recent years. When I was younger, we still had Miller Brewing here, as well as others, and the Red Star factory. Downtown Milwaukee had this overpowering aroma of yeast you could smell over a 50 mile radius. It was insane.

When I got my hands on a pack of Fermaid-K and sniffed it, it was a similar smell. Used to drive me nuts as a kid. Now that it's gone, I kind of miss it. Haha.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Oh lord the smell. It's possible they scaled it back in recent years. When I was younger, we still had Miller Brewing here, as well as others, and the Red Star factory. Downtown Milwaukee had this overpowering aroma of yeast you could smell over a 50 mile radius. It was insane.

When I got my hands on a pack of Fermaid-K and sniffed it, it was a similar smell. Used to drive me nuts as a kid. Now that it's gone, I kind of miss it. Haha.
Well I don't know if its the yeast or the mashing, but you can usually smell something malty/yeasty/whatever when a place has a brewery. It does seem that once its cooled or whatever, the smell dissipates.......

Which is probably something to do with carbon capture/carbon trading or other "tinkering round the edges" nonsense from the green/environmental nazis.....

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Not sure about the Mirakk in skyrim. I didn't see them. I've had this name since 1999 in Everquest. Played a Dwarf Paladin.

Here he is...different spelling but I knew that sounded familiar:

First_Dragonborn.jpg

Maeloch

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 6, 2013
UK
Not sure about the Mirakk in skyrim. I didn't see them. I've had this name since 1999 in Everquest. Played a Dwarf Paladin....

In fact, I've still never actually drank anything I homebrewed yet.

I'm not the only one using their MMORPG handle for the forum then!

And yes it's a bit odd. I've started nearly a dozen 1gal batches now and the only thing I've actually tasted is a JAO. Hopefully I'm not blindly churning out gallons of paint thinner, but the tempation is always to get one more on.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns