PDA

View Full Version : Black Sedament

Subliminal
10-11-2013, 04:32 PM
This is my first batch of mead and it has been going well up until this point. A guy at the local brew supply store recommended that I add Chitosan as a clarifying agent. While I was stirring it in I noticed black spots floating around. After it all settled again it is roughly the size of a quarter. I know generally if mold grows it will grow on the surface so I'm not entirely sure what it is. Any ideas what it could be?

Marshmallow Blue
10-11-2013, 04:35 PM
post a picture for accurate answers. Welcome to GotMead!!!!

Chevette Girl
10-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Please also post your exact recipe (like it asks for at the top) so we have an idea how old this mead is and how strong...

Subliminal
10-11-2013, 11:55 PM
it is a 3 gallon batch of plain mead i used:

12 lbs of clover honey
purified water
Lalvin EC-1118
LD Carlson yeast Energizer

The batch was started on 7/13/13 starting gravity was 1.14. On 8/7 the mead was racked to get it off of the dead yeast and was racked one more time on 9/22 at this point the gravity was 1.05. Then yesterday was when the clarifying agent was added.

http://i40.tinypic.com/s11c1w.jpg

Chevette Girl
10-12-2013, 02:00 AM
If you swirl it, does it all kick up or is it a solid mass? If it kicks up and then settles out again, it's probably just the sediment you were trying to get out by adding your Chitosan. Sometimes the impurities that come out in honey have a darker colour when they settle out.