• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

What would you say are the three best books on mead making?

Barrel Char Wood Products

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
I have just started to get into mead making - made a tupelo mead, traditional Ethiopian T'ej, making a mead with a variety of hops and am about to make an orange blossom honey mead. I have been making country wines for a few years but I don't come to mead making from beer so I tend to think like a wine maker and not like a brewer).
What two or three books on mead making would you recommend? I am not looking for titles that assume the reader knows nothing about wine making. I am really looking for a couple or three books that begin by taking for granted basic wine making principles. Any books you found particularly useful? Thanks

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Ken's book is the best for "how to" and "why" process descriptions. Other books are thin in those areas but often contain lots of recipes (e.g. Making Wild Wines & Meads). So read Ken's book first, make a batch or two, and then you can check out the full-of-recipes books and go nuts.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
In addition to Ken Schramm's book, the best resource I know of is the Patron's recipes and brewlogs and tips on this site. You'll never spend a better $25 on mead crafting.

In terms of books, Gayre's book, "Wassail! In Mazers of Mead" will give lots history and insight. Buhner's "Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers" gives excellent perspective and can stimulate all sorts of mead ideas.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns