• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

I wish one of you guys/girls lived near me.

Barrel Char Wood Products

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
I can only read so much. Would be nice if someone could taste my mead and say "yeah do this, add that, don't do this again".

Just bottled a cherry/vanilla that wondered if an acid blend/oaking would make it better. Not that I think it's bad at all. But it can always be better.

Vance G

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2011
Great Falls Montana
mailing a bottle is an expensive proposition by UPS and is illegal by USPS and You have to tell UPS it is something other than what it is. A live yeast culture works for me. I need to see how bad FEDEX would cost.

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
I live in farmington maine. I actually just mailed a few bottles out today to friends. But they don't brew so really couldn't give me accurate feedback.

Vance G

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2011
Great Falls Montana
I am in the same boat for conniseurs to sample my wares. What I do is try to buy a mead of the same style from a meadery near me in western Mt that is carried by a local package store. Their traditional tastes about like mine, but there meads are all 12.5% ABV. Mine are mostly stouter than that. I think that is their base mead that they blend with different fruit wines they make to get their melomels. May haps you can find a local meadery with a tasting room. You are in a much more populous area. This nearby meadery is still over 300 miles from me.

smokepole

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 16, 2013
Hell, Michigan
Hmmm
how about your local home brew store? Mine are willing to sample, and locally we have homebrew clubs, some members dabble in mead, and I think tomorrow is sample night

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
mailing a bottle is an expensive proposition by UPS and is illegal by USPS and You have to tell UPS it is something other than what it is. A live yeast culture works for me. I need to see how bad FEDEX would cost.

Just mailed two 1 liter bottles of mead via ups, i told em it was orange/honey marinade. one went to tx and was 16 and change, the other went to maryland and was 15 and change.

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
I am in the same boat for conniseurs to sample my wares. What I do is try to buy a mead of the same style from a meadery near me in western Mt that is carried by a local package store. Their traditional tastes about like mine, but there meads are all 12.5% ABV. Mine are mostly stouter than that. I think that is their base mead that they blend with different fruit wines they make to get their melomels. May haps you can find a local meadery with a tasting room. You are in a much more populous area. This nearby meadery is still over 300 miles from me.

the meads ive tried just seem overly sweet and nothing subtle or interesting about them.

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
Hmmm
how about your local home brew store? Mine are willing to sample, and locally we have homebrew clubs, some members dabble in mead, and I think tomorrow is sample night

My local brew guy, likes to oak everything and thinks its the answer to all problems. Ive tried some of his wine and not impressed.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I totally hear you... if you ever find yourself in Ottawa, let me know. Akueck survived my house :)

Fisk Jaegaren

NewBee
Registered Member
I got it bad here, the nearest meadery to me is someplace called B Nektar and it's almost 7 miles away, other than that if I want a sample of some other mead there is some guy named Ken Schramm about 8 miles away from me.

Yes, I am spoiled ;)

rmccask

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 3, 2013
VA
I got it bad here, the nearest meadery to me is someplace called B Nektar and it's almost 7 miles away, other than that if I want a sample of some other mead there is some guy named Ken Schramm about 8 miles away from me.

Yes, I am spoiled ;)

Wow! I am so jealous!

jkane

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 3, 2010
SE Wisconsin
www.kane1.com
Find a local homebrew club. Beer clubs are great places tofind mead makers too.

I second the contest. Mazer cup is perfect. You'll get good feedback from at least one of the judges. Sometimes more than one. ;-)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns