PDA

View Full Version : No more bubbles

SoMoMead
10-19-2013, 05:06 PM
3 gallons total, 2lb. of honey per gallon, 2 1/4 tsp of Fleischmann's bread yeast. Rocked the airlock for five days then this morning the bubbles stopped. This is my first ever attempt at making Mead do i need more yeast? Or do I need to buy some yeast nutrient?

McJeff
10-19-2013, 05:15 PM
3 gallons total, 2lb. of honey per gallon, 2 1/4 tsp of Fleischmann's bread yeast. Rocked the airlock for five days then this morning the bubbles stopped. This is my first ever attempt at making Mead do i need more yeast? Or do I need to buy some yeast nutrient?

its very possible the yeast has eaten up all that honey, which wasnt really much to start with. With that small amount of sugar you most likely havent acheived the max alcohol% for the yeast.

rmccask
10-19-2013, 05:19 PM
According to the mead calculator... 6 lb of honey in 3 gallons would give you around 1.072 OG and could go up to 9.74% ABV. Fleischmann's seems to be able to handle up to 12% so it should take it dry. That isn't a huge OG so it may be done but it is hard to tell without more information. Using a hydrometer is the best way to know if it is done. You could also taste a small sample. If it is sweet, you probably have a problem and your fermentation is stuck. In that case you probably need to test the pH and SG and post that information. If it is not sweet at all, then congratulations, you have made mead! I personally like mine a little sweet and stabilize and backsweeten but it depends on what you want.

SoMoMead
10-19-2013, 06:23 PM
Thanks for all the info, like I said this my very first batch ever. A friend makes wine I'll borrow his hydrometer if he has one and post what it says. Thanks again.

bernardsmith
10-19-2013, 08:48 PM
[QUOTE=rmccask;217439]According to the mead calculator...

Apologies. I don't want to hijack this discussion but you refer to a mead calculator. Where is one located? Does it handle SG or only brix? Does it allow for the use of gallons (US) or only metric measures?

joemirando
10-19-2013, 08:51 PM
Apologies. I don't want to hijack this discussion but you refer to a mead calculator. Where is one located? Does it handle SG or only brix? Does it allow for the use of gallons (US) or only metric measures?

Its in the yellow bar over to the left side of this page. It takes a little getting used to, but it is a great tool when putting together a recipe or troubleshooting.

The direct link is here (http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=745&Itemid=16).

Joe

McJeff
10-19-2013, 08:53 PM
Link on left