• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Michigan Groeb Farms files for banruptcy protection

Barrel Char Wood Products

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron

Well having read about the issues associated with the import of honey from China, would it suggest that there is any surprise that they've had to file for bankruptcy protection ?

Dunno. Yet maybe it depends on what it was being packed as i.e. if just commercial amounts for caterers ? and just labelling it as "honey" with no claimed special attributes (local, or a certain provenance etc).

Yet, I did see a programme over here the other day, where they were highlighting just how wide these "food fraud" cases actually are (the horse meat thing recently, being a point in case). At the end of the day, it's fraud/theft and all about the money.........

In any case, it's the likes of us, who need to have knowledge of the origins of our honey, too make sure that such issues are highlighted, because, if it meant that we don't buy our honey from a certain source, then other suppliers would benefit. Rightly, in my view, even if it did mean a bit higher cost.......

frankiecj7

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2011
Brodheadsville, PA
Glad Groeb got busted !!! (from a beekeeper)

As someone who keeps bees, makes delicious artisan honey, and sells a great product to people, I was offended to see what Groeb was doing. Knowingly bringing in Chinese honey, some containing banned medications, some adulterated, all of it filtered and pasturized. It gives Honey a bad name. you have no idea of how many people approach my farmers market table and tell me they don't like honey. After a short conversation they tell me the only honey they ever had was from a store.... One taste of my real honey and they are 'born again'...
This year I made 2000 lbs of honey, and I am holding a bit back for some mead making over winter ! I currently have a blueberry and a blackberry in carboys. This is my first and second attempt, so we will see how it goes..

Reactions: TheAlchemist

frankiecj7

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2011
Brodheadsville, PA
Number of hives, varieties of honey, and new friends !

Well, I am currently running 53 hives, but upping my count next spring as I can't keep honey past February.. With all the trouble with bees, the up side is the renewed interest in raw, REAL, honey. I live in Pennsylvania. My house is in the Poconos, and my farm is about 80 miles north of me, near the NY State border. I keep hives in 5 different locations, from the farm all the way down to the house.
As far as new friends, sure !! I have great respect for anyone who can take honey and turn it into something just as good ! This year I got Black Locust (only get this one about every 8 years due to weather, etc), Tulip Poplar, Russian Olive (Smells EXACTLY like the flower.. pungent), Goldenrod/Aster mix, Japanese Knotweed (bamboo), and various mixed wildflower.
If you mead makers want good honey, just look for your local beekeepering club in your area, and make contact. I am sure there are a lot of beekeepers that would be willing to part with real good honey.
Just an FYI, about 15 years ago, before I had bees, I attempted to make mead. I used store bought crap that tasted .....not good... but was cheap.. I ended up with a mead that was....not good... and undrinkable. Not sure if it was the honey or me...
I just sampled my blueberry mead, about 2 1/2 months in the carboy, racked 3 times, and it actually is starting to taste and smell good !! very exciting for someone like me who has yet to make anything drinkable.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
As someone who keeps bees, makes delicious artisan honey, and sells a great product to people, I was offended to see what Groeb was doing. Knowingly bringing in Chinese honey, some containing banned medications, some adulterated, all of it filtered and pasturized. It gives Honey a bad name. you have no idea of how many people approach my farmers market table and tell me they don't like honey. After a short conversation they tell me the only honey they ever had was from a store.... One taste of my real honey and they are 'born again'...
This year I made 2000 lbs of honey, and I am holding a bit back for some mead making over winter ! I currently have a blueberry and a blackberry in carboys. This is my first and second attempt, so we will see how it goes..

To chime in...

I came to this website while looking for not really mead or honey, as I was one of those "don't like honey" folks you mention. It was more my interest in all things "original" that had me interested in making some mead to taste what I'm convinced (my own opinion) is an older beverage than beer.

What it introduced me to was real honey...which is so good, it's hard not to eat with a spoon! My first taste of real organic honey was an eye opener.

I'm also amazed at how "Cheap Chinese" is not anything made of plastic but also foodstuff. Considering the pride and reverence the Chinese have for food, I'm surprised, but then again, the older I get the less surprised I am.

Good thing there's a whole community of really neat folks that make mead!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns