PDA

View Full Version : Stuck fermentation

Groovus Maximus
10-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Hi there, first timer here unsure if things are going ok or not. ???

Ingredients:
Mineral Water (Approx 8litres)
Honey (5x 908g jars)
Yeast (4g of Vintnerís Harvest)
Yeast Nutrient (Tronozymol)

I used a 10litre bucket and after 24hrs the airlock was bubbling very regularly. After 2 weeks the gas slowed and all but stopped.

After 3 weeks I siphoned to 2 5litre carboys with airlocks but have seen zero activity since. It is now about 4 weeks since siphoning and the mead looks cloudy and still.

Should I be concerned? I have found it hard to find guidance as to how much airlock activity I should expect for a secondary fermentation. If it has halted, what is the best way of restarting or do I need to start over?

I have now ordered a hydrometer and realise this should have probably been an essential purchase but wanted to see if I could get away with a process as simple as throwing things together and seeing what would happen!

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

GntlKnigt1
10-28-2013, 03:07 PM
You're right.... the hydrometer is your best friend. Have you tasted it? Is it sweet? Or is it dry? Is it tart? What is the temperature in the room? Might be a pH issue, might be temperature, might just be done fermenting... Hard to tell without more info.

fatbloke
10-28-2013, 04:20 PM
You're right.... the hydrometer is your best friend. Have you tasted it? Is it sweet? Or is it dry? Is it tart? What is the temperature in the room? Might be a pH issue, might be temperature, might just be done fermenting... Hard to tell without more info.
Ah, well I was thinking more of the 4kg of honey in 2 gallons........

I normally use 1.36kg (3lb) made up to 1 imp gallon.

Ergo, it could be either the usual pH issue or even the yeast has hit its tolerance.

The OP should also track down some low range (2.6 -4.5) pH/litmus papers as well as checking the gravity when the hydrometer arrives.

I personally, don't rack to secondary until I know the main ferment has finished - secondary "fermentation" is a bit of a misnomer. If you rack too early you leave too much of the yeast. If the nutrients have been munched there's little to no dead yeast to provide organic nitrogen for the active yeast cells to finish......

As for it still being cloudy etc..... it will need aging to mellow so its likely to be easiest to let it clear naturally. Though if the new makers impatience is too much, once its confirmed as finished, 2 part kwikclear finings should do the trick......

Groovus Maximus
10-31-2013, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the quick responses.
I've now measured the mead.

pH is about 3.5
Gravity 1.007

Taste is medium dry/sweet. Maybe a bit harsh! My initial plan was about three months in the carboys and a year or so bottled.

How does all this sound?

For my next batch are you advising a bit more honey? Also, I added nutrients only at the start. Would it be best to stagger multiple additions?

fatbloke
10-31-2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the quick responses.
I've now measured the mead.

pH is about 3.5
Gravity 1.007

Taste is medium dry/sweet. Maybe a bit harsh! My initial plan was about three months in the carboys and a year or so bottled.

How does all this sound?

For my next batch are you advising a bit more honey? Also, I added nutrients only at the start. Would it be best to stagger multiple additions?
Ok, so there is a little residual sugar there, though not knowing the specs for the yeast and the start gravity, I'd say you're likely close to finished.

Again, not knowing the yeast, I'm gonna suggest, leave it until its thrown some sediment, maybe a half to 1cm ? Then on the presumption that its best to be safe than sorry, once there's at least 5mm of sediment, rack into a couple of DJ's right up to the bottom of the neck to minimise air space and keep under air lock until clear - unless you get too impatient.......kwik clear takes 24 to 48 hours usually.

If it tastes a bit hideous, don't worry. A lot of young traditional meads are bloody horrible. Give them 6 to 12 months aging and damn, it's like a different brew.......

If you have any left over after the rack, glass door step milk bottles are the right size to take a stopper and air lock, and they fit in the fridge. You can use it for topping up etc (if you're worried about air space in glass use whatever sized clear pop bottle you need and squeeze the air out then fridge).

Sounds like you've had a good result.......