PDA

View Full Version : film on the top of the mead

McJeff
10-30-2013, 08:36 PM
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm251/yeoson/E0562F99-D3C8-42C9-BD21-4BBB6A6E51AA-2076-000005C0A1D7E5D6_zps957afa77.jpg

i assume its normal and fine, didnt have bad smell. but the traditional didnt really taste all that good either when i sampled it. the recipe did have a 1/4 tsp on tannin in it which i think was the taste.

K5MOW
10-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Looks ok to me.

Roger

GntlKnigt1
10-31-2013, 11:14 AM
You will have to tell the community more about...whatever we are looking at. Looks like a mead that is done fermenting to me, but I have no idea of how much honey is in there, when it was put in, what yeast was used, SG readings....

What is the issue, question or concern?

McJeff
10-31-2013, 12:17 PM
You will have to tell the community more about...whatever we are looking at. Looks like a mead that is done fermenting to me, but I have no idea of how much honey is in there, when it was put in, what yeast was used, SG readings....

What is the issue, question or concern?

wooah DETAILS!

you are looking at a 1gallon Traditional batch that had 3.5lbs of honey, 1/4 tsp of tannin, pitch D47 on 9/12. racked 10/15 sg was 1.000. tasted it last night(10/30) for the first time. prob shouldnt have added the tannin at the start, but oh well ill prob backsweeten a touch. but the film was on the top layer of the mead, was kinda oily? cuz it stuck to the side of the wine thief.

MikeTheElder
10-31-2013, 04:29 PM
I've noticed that with all my meads so far, I've never seen it on wine so I assumed it is a normal mead thing, they always tasted fine.

I just figured it was yeast that rose to the surface or leftover beeswax from the honey, maybe even yeast that hitch-hiked on the wax.

When I bottle, I just draw from underneath it and drink the dregs myself.

McJeff
10-31-2013, 07:55 PM
I've noticed that with all my meads so far, I've never seen it on wine so I assumed it is a normal mead thing, they always tasted fine.

I just figured it was yeast that rose to the surface or leftover beeswax from the honey, maybe even yeast that hitch-hiked on the wax.

When I bottle, I just draw from underneath it and drink the dregs myself.

yeah i didnt notice a taste at all, just caught me by suprise when it stuck to the wine thief.

GntlKnigt1
11-01-2013, 02:55 AM
Other than the conjecture that it might be beeswax, and assuming the carboy(s) that you racked from and to were clean, I really don't know where else it might have come from. Did you get the normal foaming during fermentation? Or was it all very subdued?

kuri
11-01-2013, 03:40 AM
I've noticed that StarSan can create something that looks like an oil slick, but only early after adding something to a container cleaned with it. After a short amount of time that seems to go away, probably eaten by the yeast. Your picture doesn't look like that to me, but pictures of these things tend to not really capture what they look like live. Anyway, if it's that, again it's nothing to worry about.

Maeloch
11-01-2013, 05:12 AM
I've noticed a film on a few of my concoctions - but as many of em have had sultanas etc in - assumed it was with not washing the dried fruit properly. Either way, it disappears after a couple of racks and everytime you check gravity the hydrometer pulls a bunch of it out on the sides.

stagnant waters
11-02-2013, 12:06 AM
I have that film on every mead I've made with D47. I was worried about it too until 6 months had passed and there was no additional film and no off tastes. Don't sweat it.