PDA

View Full Version : Headache when i sample from an aging bottle

McJeff
10-30-2013, 08:43 PM
I get a headache when ever i sample right out of the aging bottle, this normal?

Mirakk
10-30-2013, 08:58 PM

This is purely conjecture, but it's probably just the harsh fusels etc that haven't been aged out. I've been told they give a wicked hangover. Do you still get the same headaches from the finished product? If so it could be allergy related. I know that I can avoid a headache from meads by taking an antihistamine beforehand.

Typically I only get this headache from store-bought meads, interestingly enough. I haven't been able to figure that one out.

danr
10-30-2013, 08:58 PM

I have heard, but I am not sure if it is true, that fusel alcohols can cause headaches.

McJeff
10-30-2013, 09:10 PM
I have heard, but I am not sure if it is true, that fusel alcohols can cause headaches.

this is what im assuming also. Its not all my meads either, i guess i need to pay attention more when i sample :P

Chevette Girl
10-30-2013, 11:14 PM
I know that I can avoid a headache from meads by taking an antihistamine beforehand.

Typically I only get this headache from store-bought meads, interestingly enough. I haven't been able to figure that one out.

For me, antihistamine + alcohol = stoned out of my mind...

I've found that I'm less likely to get a headache from stabilized wines and meads than unstabilized.

I know a few people who get migraines from sulphites... I'm definitely not one of those!