• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Recipe Critique

Barrel Char Wood Products

Cal

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2012
Its been a while since I posted, I had to take a break from brewing to move. Now that I am settled in the new place, I need to start back up so I have a few ideas for brews that I would like yall to see and advise me on.

Christmas Mead-A mead that would be ready to open on 12/25/14

Ingredients
5lbs Clover Honey
5 Lbs of cranberries
1/2 Gall of apple juice- I am considering this
10 Cinnamon sticks
2 clove
K1v
nutrients/pectic enzyme etc all added up front.
Water to 2 Gallons

Primary
Take 3lbs frozen cranberries, let unthaw, puree them into mush and put into brew bag. I know seeds will add bitterness to it. Blend the water and honey and pour on top. drop in 4 cinnamon sticks and let it sit for 2 weeks

secondary
rack it out of bucket into a 2 gallon carboy or two 1 gallon carboys. Either way 1lb of crushed cranberries per gallon. 3 cinnamon sticks per gallon and a clove per gallon. Let brew for 3 weeks. If i were to add the apple juice this is where it would go in.

Tertiary
Rack off liquid, stabilize and backsweeten. Let it age for 8 months then bottle.

Thoughts?

MikeTheElder

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 18, 2013
Central Ohio,USA
Generally I use a bit more honey per gallon but I like the higher alcohol(>12%ABV) meads.:D

That seems a bit heavy on the cinnamon, that's OK if you like strong cinnamon flavor but it could have an effect on the fermentation, I've seen some discussion of this but don't remember the threads though.

Cal

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2012
I am trying to get it to a higher alcohol content. I would like a 15-20%abv if possible.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
I am trying to get it to a higher alcohol content. I would like a 15-20%abv if possible.
Fine, more honey then.

If you don't want to induce bitterness and make it a PITA to get clear and racked etc, DO NOT puree the fruit.

There's no reason to. The yeast will extract the colour and flavour just fine......

And concur with the other comment about it being heavy on the cinnamon. Id suggest 2 sticks. You can add a bit more further on if need be.....

Midnight Sun

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
You're going to need to add more apple juice or honey to reach 15% ABV:

1.014 from apple juice (~1.055 divided by 4)
1.089 from honey..................
1.103 est SG = 13.8% ABV

Contribution from apple juice is minor, either eliminate or increase. (I would increase)

Going to need quite a bit of back sweetening to balance the acid contribution from the cranberries.

As with previous, way too much cinnamon. Consider using 2-3 sticks. Might bump cloves up to 3.

All in all, sounds like it might be good!

Last edited:

anir dendroica

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 15, 2009
Corvallis, OR
If you want the apple to contribute a noticeable flavor in a heavily spiced mead, I recommend using just apple juice and honey with no water.

I currently have an apple spice mead aging that is only two months old but already clear and quite delicious. I think I'm going to be "bad" and fill a few bottles for this Christmas.

This was my recipe:

Spiced Apple
9-1-13
4.75 gallons fresh-pressed apple juice from home tree 1.049
15 lbs mixed honey drained from wax cappings
2.5 oz. fresh ginger
10 allspice berries
7 whole cloves
2 whole nutmeg
4 cardamom pods
10 cinnamon sticks
6 gallons
D47
SG 1.130

Tasting notes: Was going for an "apple pie" flavor but the spices dominate the apple and have merged into a combined flavor that has notes of spruce or juniper. Still delicious and "Christmas-y" but for more pie-like flavor I might use just the cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg and go a bit lighter on the cinnamon. Also take this with a grain of salt as the flavor will probably change substantially by the time it is really ready to drink.

Mark

Cal

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2012
Thank you all for the advice. I have changed it.

Honey
8 lbs Clover Honey
5 Lbs of cranberries-crush them instead of purée
1 Gall of apple juice
Balance cranberry juice to 2 gallons
4 Cinnamon sticks

I need to figure out how to use the mead calculator.

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
Cal, you seem to be trying to make a spiced cyser, 4 gal of cider, some honey and some cranberries and spices for the holiday spirit, if you want apple flavor in there dont fool around with just adding some, add in in whereever possible. Did all your carboys make it ok during the move, when we moved they were the last thing I brought home, I had to make sure the place was perfect for them! WVMJ

Cal

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 20, 2012
Thankfully the all survived. I used a box they came in plus a bottle box for added protection.

I am not trying to make a cyser. I want to make a mead version of mulled wine.

Kind of like this reciepe for a spiced cranberry drink.
http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/154602/hot-spiced-christmas-wine

Except I want it to be based off cranberries with a cranberry and hint of apple flavor.

Kind of like this
3 cups cranberry juice cocktail
3 cups water
1-½ cups vodka, divided
1 cup granulated sugar
12 whole cloves
4 cinnamon sticks
1 star anise pod

Last edited:
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns