PDA

View Full Version : I used 3 Campden tablets for 2 gallons..

YoPaulO
10-31-2013, 09:36 PM
:confused:I used 3 Campden tablets for 2 gallons of mead (overdosed)...what should I do?

bernardsmith
10-31-2013, 10:41 PM
:confused:I used 3 Campden tablets for 2 gallons of mead (overdosed)...what should I do?

Perhaps nothing. I assume you mean either that you used 3 tabs before you pitched the yeast OR you mean that you added the K-M after you racked to increase the amount of free SO2.

IMO, in either case the problem is not terrible.

If this was to kill wild yeasts I would let the must be exposed to the air would aerate it by stirring vigorously from time to time to help the free SO2 dissipate. Unless you can smell sulfur dioxide (burnt matches) just before you pitch the yeast I would not be overly concerned. If you can detect SO2 with your nose I would continue to stir the must and delay pitching the yeast for another 12 or 24 hours. The SO2 will weaken if not kill the yeast you want to inoculate the honey with.

If the latter (and you added 3 tabs after racking) you probably have an excess of free SO2 (I think for white wine the amount of free SO2 that you aim for is about 30 mg/L). I believe that 1 tab provides 66 mg/L of SO2 in 1 gallon but some of that will not be "free" and the actual amount of SO2 needed depends on the pH of the wine (the lower the pH , the less free SO2 needed) . That said, free SO2 does not stick around for ever so, if you had added 3 Campden tabs, I don't think that this will be a huge problem - long term. Short term it will likely affect the taste of your mead but next time you rack you might add 1 tab to the 2 gallons or perhaps none at all but long story short, don't bottle the wine in the next month or two.. let the SO2 dissipate or bind with other chemicals, eventually all the SO2 will dissipate unless you add more.
Others on this site may have a very different understanding but this is my take.

Chevette Girl
11-01-2013, 12:24 AM
If this is treating must before you ferment, it might take an extra day to dissippate before you pitch your yeast.

If it's stabilizing before you bottle, I wouldn't worry about it.

YoPaulO
11-01-2013, 12:20 PM
If this is treating must before you ferment, it might take an extra day to dissippate before you pitch your yeast.

If it's stabilizing before you bottle, I wouldn't worry about it.
I used 3 tabs before I pitched the yeast so I'll give it another day to dissipate.

Chevette Girl
11-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Should work fine, I regularly treat my apple mush with 3 campden tabs and get 2 gallons of juice, when I start it fermenting at about 24 to 48 hours after the campden tabs, it's never been an issue.