PDA

View Full Version : Corking Beer Bottles

sfisher
10-31-2013, 10:26 PM
I am going to make mead vinegar, and want to bottle it in beer bottles. I have some nice import beer bottles, and was wondering if they can be corked?

fatbloke
10-31-2013, 10:55 PM
How do they make the seal ?

Wine bottles are designed to make the seal down the length of the cork. Beer bottles move the sealing surface to the top edge.

Plus think about the actual closure. Is the glass thick enough to take a cork without it chipping etc.....

Even with bottles its not wise to change the closure type. If you cork a bottle that is designed for a screw cap, its easy to chip the top part as they're often made thinner where the thread is etc.

So I'd say either use the right closure or different bottles. ......

sfisher
10-31-2013, 11:58 PM
"How do they make the seal ?

Wine bottles are designed to make the seal down the length of the cork. Beer bottles move the sealing surface to the top edge.

Plus think about the actual closure. Is the glass thick enough to take a cork without it chipping etc....."

Not sure that's why I was asking, I was going to use regular caps at first, but then you cant reuse the cap. So I thought I would cork them, and wax the cork. Then when you uncork them you cold just stick the cork back in the top.

Chevette Girl
11-01-2013, 12:09 AM
I've stuck corks into beer bottles but the big problem is the shape of the bottle, it opens up as you go down the neck so you don't want to push a cork in too far or you'll just push it all the way in trying to get it out. If you want to be able to keep a beer bottle closed for repeated uses of vinegar, I'd suggest getting a handful of taster caps or something, the bottom's cork, synthetic or ribbed plastic, but the top is a plastic cap so you can just pull it out and pop it back in when you're done. These often don't fit quite as tightly as a regular cork might, so if you're bottling some of this to give away and it has to be transported, I'd suggest crown capping it and just including a taster cap for the recipient to use once it's been opened.

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/2701/photooae.jpg

sfisher
11-01-2013, 12:47 AM
That makes good sense Chevette girl.
I use to be a Vega man.

kudapucat
11-01-2013, 05:06 PM
I use cork versions of this for liqueurs and vinegars. They work in beer bottles.
The keep the liquid in, I'm certain they don't keep the air out.
The other think I like to use is a swing top or Grolsche bottle.

joemirando
11-01-2013, 06:15 PM
I use cork versions of this for liqueurs and vinegars. They work in beer bottles.
The keep the liquid in, I'm certain they don't keep the air out.
The other think I like to use is a swing top or Grolsche bottle.

Grolsch bottles rock! They're a bit expensive as bottles at $2.50/per, but as a bonus, each one comes with almost 16 oz. of pretty damned good beer. <grin>

Joe

kudapucat
11-01-2013, 07:04 PM
$2.50?
Now you're rubbing it in.
$5.10 here with alcohol duties... :-(

And I can't stand beer, so no consolation prize.

joemirando
11-01-2013, 08:03 PM
$2.50?
Now you're rubbing it in.
$5.10 here with alcohol duties... :-(

And I can't stand beer, so no consolation prize.

Yeah, a 4-pack costs $10.00 here. 15.2 oz bottles. Oh, and then there's a nickel per bottle deposit. Kiss THAT $0.20 goodbye. <g>

I like beer. Sometimes it helps me be mellow.

Joe

kudapucat
11-02-2013, 03:03 AM
15.2!?!?
Haha and you guys dislike metric!
That's a 450ml metric bottle. Same as what we have, just half the price.

GntlKnigt1
11-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Grolsch bottle? How about a 1.5 liter one of their Herfst Bok (autumn Boch) for 10 euros? Love the bottle, but had all this beer in it that had to be emptied out. My so in law helped me with that and took one for the team.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

fatbloke
11-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Grolsch bottle? How about a 1.5 liter one of their Herfst Bok (autumn Boch) for 10 euros? Love the bottle, but had all this beer in it that had to be emptied out. My so in law helped me with that and took one for the team.

hum ? yes of course. I bet he and you had to "force" it down ;)

GntlKnigt1
11-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Yeah...tough job, but it had to be done to make room for mead....

Chevette Girl
11-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Yeah, a 4-pack costs $10.00 here. 15.2 oz bottles. Oh, and then there's a nickel per bottle deposit. Kiss THAT $0.20 goodbye. <g>

I think we've got a quarter deposit? And Grolsch is over $15 for a 4-pack. It's only JUST cheaper to buy empty swing-top bottles.

15.2!?!?
Haha and you guys dislike metric!
That's a 450ml metric bottle. Same as what we have, just half the price.

<snicker>
...although, really, I'd take a silly decimal over paying double... :rolleyes:

danr
11-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Are THESE (http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx/Beer/Imported-Beers/Royal-Grolsch/Grolsch-Lager-Flip-Top/15691) good bottles to reuse? I think that for me, buying these full of beer would be cheaper than buying new empty flip top bottles.

joemirando
11-04-2013, 11:23 PM
Are THESE (http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx/Beer/Imported-Beers/Royal-Grolsch/Grolsch-Lager-Flip-Top/15691) good bottles to reuse? I think that for me, buying these full of beer would be cheaper than buying new empty flip top bottles.

Yes, actually they are quite good. They are, as someone pointed out elsewhere, 450 ml and will hold a little carbonation without exploding. I've got about a dozen of them and, aside from being a little on the small side, they work really well. You can even find replacement seals for them on eBay.

Joe

Noe Palacios
11-06-2013, 04:29 PM
I've stuck corks into beer bottles but the big problem is the shape of the bottle, it opens up as you go down the neck so you don't want to push a cork in too far or you'll just push it all the way in trying to get it out. If you want to be able to keep a beer bottle closed for repeated uses of vinegar, I'd suggest getting a handful of taster caps or something, the bottom's cork, synthetic or ribbed plastic, but the top is a plastic cap so you can just pull it out and pop it back in when you're done. These often don't fit quite as tightly as a regular cork might, so if you're bottling some of this to give away and it has to be transported, I'd suggest crown capping it and just including a taster cap for the recipient to use once it's been opened.

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/2701/photooae.jpg

Hi Chevette Girl:

First, thank you, my son is here at Keiser University Latin American Campus taking needed credits for his admission in to Niagara College to the beer and wine programs. Even if he change his mind and he decide to stay here at Keiser is Ok, he's back to the track.

One question. Talking about taster caps, how do they behave in the long term, I mean bottle aging? May expect 2,3,4,5 years or much less?

Saludes,

kudapucat
11-06-2013, 11:32 PM
I should not expect they'd last that long.
I cap with a crown seal and get 2 years ok, but I'd not try that with taster caps in beer bottles.
The cork is only able to see on such a small area, also the bottles a a touch narrow for the cork, so after they've been in a while (12months) they can sometimes be a challenge to get out. If feared the plastic cap would let go before the bottle before, though it's year to happen.
On my liqueurs, for which the taster corks can be on for 5 years or more, I've broken a couple, but these corks are replaced in the bottle after a nip is removed, so have a lot more stress than if they were single use.

Noe Palacios
11-07-2013, 01:46 PM
I should not expect they'd last that long.
I cap with a crown seal and get 2 years ok, but I'd not try that with taster caps in beer bottles.
The cork is only able to see on such a small area, also the bottles a a touch narrow for the cork, so after they've been in a while (12months) they can sometimes be a challenge to get out. If feared the plastic cap would let go before the bottle before, though it's year to happen.
On my liqueurs, for which the taster corks can be on for 5 years or more, I've broken a couple, but these corks are replaced in the bottle after a nip is removed, so have a lot more stress than if they were single use.

Hello kudapucat:

Here's the thing. I'm not using one 100% wine bottles, but they are what I found here in Central America. I cork them but in order to do that I have to attach somekind of bushing in the mouth. The shape of Chevete's taster cap picture seems to me that could fit in my bottle. So, the idea is not to use them during tasting but as a final closure. But first I have to be sure that they could work for ... I don't know ... how many years?

Saludes,

Chevette Girl
11-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Noe, I'd go with synthetic rather than real cork taster corks then, I've bought alcohol (usually 18+%) with those instead of screw caps. They're shorter than real corks so as kudapucat says there won't be as much surface contact for sealing, but if it's straight sides like a wine bottle it should be fine for a year or two, I use them a lot on half-bottles after bottling and sometimes I don't get to drinking the contents for quite some time... Glad your son's doing well, if he does go to Niagara I definitely want to hear about the courses!

kudapucat
11-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Oh, sorry Noe.
I thought we were still talking about beer bottles.

Yes they do OK.
I bottled some wine bottles with these corks (I used natural) then dipped them in molten beeswax. I did this only for looks, but it may help with preservation.
So far these bottles appear to have lasted almost 3 years with no issues.
I have no further data, because I only bottled them December 2010

Noe Palacios
11-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Oh, sorry Noe.
I thought we were still talking about beer bottles.

Yes they do OK.
I bottled some wine bottles with these corks (I used natural) then dipped them in molten beeswax. I did this only for looks, but it may help with preservation.
So far these bottles appear to have lasted almost 3 years with no issues.
I have no further data, because I only bottled them December 2010

Thanks Kudapukat!

That's a good news, at least I could make a trial and in 5 years or something make the final decision.

Saludes,

antonioh
11-08-2013, 12:20 PM
For bottles, an ancient and big factory :

http://www.dmg.com.pt/en/alimentar9.html

As for corks, the first producer in the world :

http://www.amorim.com/cor_neg_rolhas.php

GntlKnigt1
11-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Portugal is the cork capital of the world. I would love to visit there and learn more about it.