PDA

View Full Version : OOPs I shook the DJ with the yeast in

Gaby
11-01-2013, 11:43 PM
:confused:??? I used my own bees honey, boiled it for a few minutes first as there was some wax still to take off. But I added the yeast BEFORE i shook the DJ AND added it straight (not mixed with warm water) to the room temp must. There isn't any activity yet after 4 days. Have I killed the yeast? and if so can I add more yeast? If so does it have to be the same kind? I used champagne yeast. Help!

4lb raw honey
2L spring water
Juice and zest of 1 lime
25 raisins
1 sachet (for 1G) 'Ritchies' (UK) Champagne yeast -

joemirando
11-02-2013, 12:16 AM
:confused:??? I used my own bees honey, boiled it for a few minutes first as there was some wax still to take off. But I added the yeast BEFORE i shook the DJ AND added it straight (not mixed with warm water) to the room temp must. There isn't any activity yet after 4 days. Have I killed the yeast? and if so can I add more yeast? If so does it have to be the same kind? I used champagne yeast. Help!

4lb raw honey
2L spring water
Juice and zest of 1 lime
25 raisins

My best guess is that your problem isn't that you didn't proof the yeast first, but that there's just too much sugar in your must. Yeast have a hard time with high concentrations of sugar. Its called osmotic something or other, but the bottom line is that if there's too much sugar, it plays hell with the yeast's ability to eat it.

If your numbers are correct, you have a specific gravity of around 1.165. That's high.

I would recommend adding some more water (another quart will bring your SG down to about 1.130), mixing well, then waiting for a day to see if the yeast wake up. I'm a newbee myself, so I'd wait just a bit to get the opinions and ideas of others, but I think that's what I'd do.

And if you don't have a hydrometer, do yourself a favor and get one. They can be had for about ten bucks at a brew store, less online, usually. It is really a big help to know what your SG is at just about any point in the fermentation.

Welcome to the obsession!<grin>

Joe

fatbloke
11-02-2013, 03:35 AM

4lb raw honey
2L spring water
Juice and zest of 1 lime
25 raisins

My best guess is that your problem isn't that you didn't proof the yeast first, but that there's just too much sugar in your must. Yeast have a hard time with high concentrations of sugar. Its called osmotic something or other, but the bottom line is that if there's too much sugar, it plays hell with the yeast's ability to eat it.

If your numbers are correct, you have a specific gravity of around 1.165. That's high.

I would recommend adding some more water (another quart will bring your SG down to about 1.130), mixing well, then waiting for a day to see if the yeast wake up. I'm a newbee myself, so I'd wait just a bit to get the opinions and ideas of others, but I think that's what I'd do.

And if you don't have a hydrometer, do yourself a favor and get one. They can be had for about ten bucks at a brew store, less online, usually. It is really a big help to know what your SG is at just about any point in the fermentation.

Welcome to the obsession!<grin>

Joe
Joe's not far wrong IMO. You're aiming at using a JAO-like method, and when mixed up to the correct ratio of honey to water (you're about 300g or so over) you get a starting gravity of about 1.135 or so.

Hence if Joes numbers are correct, that'd go some way to explain why it won't start (it may do eventually, but the yeast is likely to be struggling to multiply into a decent sized colony).

Shaking the DJ with the yeast in won't have made any difference.

I would just top it up to the gallon mark (don't forget, most of the info re making JAO type brews is gonna be in US gallons, not Imperial gallons - but I just make mine to 1 imp gallon, it's just a bit less sweet). Take a pint or 2 out of the DJ and keep it in the fridge (sanitised bottle of course).

The stir the hell out of it, yeast and all. Too get some oxygen/air into it for yeast development.

Equally, you can also add something to get some nutrition in there. Don't worry about proper nutrients etc, just get some bread yeast, mix it with 50ml's of water and either simmer it for a couple of minutes on the hob, or you can microwave it - either will do as long as it's been killed off by the heat.

Let it cool and then mix it in.

This batch should likely ferment dry. Champagne yeast is often suggested for meads, but it's not actually a good idea, as it will often blow a lot of the aromatics and more subtle flavouring compounds straight out the airlock......

Oh, and the phrase that Joe was looking for when the sugar concentration is too high for the yeast, is, I believe, osmotic shock......