PDA

View Full Version : Can you fly with alcohol?

McJeff
11-03-2013, 07:19 AM
Plan on traveling later this year with in the US. Would taking a few samples be frowned on in a carry on?

GntlKnigt1
11-03-2013, 07:26 AM
Absolutely prohibited. You will be pulled aside and questioned. Put it in checked baggage.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

fatbloke
11-03-2013, 07:46 AM
Used to be able too, but I suspect that there's likely some rules about package size and material. I suspect GntlKnigt1's suggestion is the better plan.

Don't forget, they get funny about home brew as it doesn't usually have nice labels with info about strength, producers address and tamper proof seals.

It's one thing to come from an international location but it seems that even with US internal flights they want to treat you like terrorists. It's all about the politics of keeping you scared and compliant......

Just remember, the check in and boarding agents will ask for ID, federally issued ID at that, and they and the TSA/FAA are in constitutional breach to insist on it. Yes there's rules that surround such things but last time I was reading about this - you have no requirement to carry any state or nationally issued "legal" ID - and they know it, it it doesn't stop them trying to bully you into rolling over does it (just make sure you're familiar with how to activate your smart phone voice recorder quickly) ;D :cool:

Well thats my tuppence worth anyway.....

McJeff
11-03-2013, 09:39 AM
That's about what I figured.

TheAlchemist
11-03-2013, 01:35 PM
What about 3oz plastic bottles in a 1qt plastic baggie?

GntlKnigt1
11-03-2013, 01:42 PM
Okay...if you want to transport 3 oz of mead n a plastic baggie and have it examined .....is it worth it? Or would it be easier to just throw it in your suitcase that you are checking?????

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

Chevette Girl
11-03-2013, 01:57 PM
I'm led to believe if you put it in your checked luggage you're OK, although I guess that'll depend on the country and maybe the airline. When my Slovenian relatives brought some homemade Slivovitz to Canada a few years ago, they put it in a commercial wine bottle with its original label still on, and had no problems...

anir dendroica
11-03-2013, 02:53 PM
There is no specific prohibition on carry-on alcohol, aside from the 3 oz. liquid restriction that makes it generally impractical. However you can purchase alcohol at shops inside security and transport it to your destination in your carry-on. Airlines do have rules against consuming personal alcohol on the plane.

If you have a connection that requires you to go back through security, this can get annoying, as any large liquids in your carry-on need to be transferred to your checked baggage. I had to do this with some tasty cloudberry liqueur coming back from Sweden.

A Stephenson
11-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Wrap your bottles in some clothes or towels and put them in your checked luggage. It is the only option really.
You will be limited by the weight of your luggage so only a few bottles can be carried. Check with you carrier for your maximum luggage allowance.

For those flying by private jet, alcohol not only can be taken on board but also consumed.

joemirando
11-03-2013, 05:19 PM
I'm sure everyone else has thought this, but nobody has said it yet.

"Can you fly with alcohol?"

Hell, I never fly WITHOUT it. <G>

Joe

mannye
11-03-2013, 05:54 PM
There is not restriction of flying with alcohol. The restriction is about flying with more than 3oz of liquid on your carry-on. Luggage that goes in the belly is fine. Even when you buy duty free liquor, it has to be taken to you at the door of the plane.

Wrapping bottles in bubble wrap and putting them in your luggage is perfectly fine. Aside from the risk of breakage, no one will say anything. Of course, if you put A LOT of bottles, you're going to have to watch the weight, but other than that, you'll be fine.

anir dendroica
11-03-2013, 11:37 PM
I'm pretty sure the 3 oz restriction applies only to going through security, not getting on the plane. If that's not true then I'm breaking the rules every time I go through security with an empty water bottle and fill it before boarding. I've never had trouble with the TSA for that, or with buying bottles in the duty free shops and taking them on with me.

Riverat
11-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Actually you can fly with as many of those little one serving liquor bottles as you can get in that (1 or 1/2 gal?) zip lock bag you put your liquids in! Not a liquor drinker myself but my brother does this regularly.