• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Can you fly with alcohol?

Barrel Char Wood Products

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Used to be able too, but I suspect that there's likely some rules about package size and material. I suspect GntlKnigt1's suggestion is the better plan.

Don't forget, they get funny about home brew as it doesn't usually have nice labels with info about strength, producers address and tamper proof seals.

It's one thing to come from an international location but it seems that even with US internal flights they want to treat you like terrorists. It's all about the politics of keeping you scared and compliant......

Just remember, the check in and boarding agents will ask for ID, federally issued ID at that, and they and the TSA/FAA are in constitutional breach to insist on it. Yes there's rules that surround such things but last time I was reading about this - you have no requirement to carry any state or nationally issued "legal" ID - and they know it, it it doesn't stop them trying to bully you into rolling over does it (just make sure you're familiar with how to activate your smart phone voice recorder quickly) ;D :cool:

Well thats my tuppence worth anyway.....

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
Okay...if you want to transport 3 oz of mead n a plastic baggie and have it examined .....is it worth it? Or would it be easier to just throw it in your suitcase that you are checking?????

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I'm led to believe if you put it in your checked luggage you're OK, although I guess that'll depend on the country and maybe the airline. When my Slovenian relatives brought some homemade Slivovitz to Canada a few years ago, they put it in a commercial wine bottle with its original label still on, and had no problems...

anir dendroica

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 15, 2009
Corvallis, OR
There is no specific prohibition on carry-on alcohol, aside from the 3 oz. liquid restriction that makes it generally impractical. However you can purchase alcohol at shops inside security and transport it to your destination in your carry-on. Airlines do have rules against consuming personal alcohol on the plane.

If you have a connection that requires you to go back through security, this can get annoying, as any large liquids in your carry-on need to be transferred to your checked baggage. I had to do this with some tasty cloudberry liqueur coming back from Sweden.

A Stephenson

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 11, 2013
UK, South West
Wrap your bottles in some clothes or towels and put them in your checked luggage. It is the only option really.
You will be limited by the weight of your luggage so only a few bottles can be carried. Check with you carrier for your maximum luggage allowance.

For those flying by private jet, alcohol not only can be taken on board but also consumed.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
There is not restriction of flying with alcohol. The restriction is about flying with more than 3oz of liquid on your carry-on. Luggage that goes in the belly is fine. Even when you buy duty free liquor, it has to be taken to you at the door of the plane.

Wrapping bottles in bubble wrap and putting them in your luggage is perfectly fine. Aside from the risk of breakage, no one will say anything. Of course, if you put A LOT of bottles, you're going to have to watch the weight, but other than that, you'll be fine.

anir dendroica

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 15, 2009
Corvallis, OR
I'm pretty sure the 3 oz restriction applies only to going through security, not getting on the plane. If that's not true then I'm breaking the rules every time I go through security with an empty water bottle and fill it before boarding. I've never had trouble with the TSA for that, or with buying bottles in the duty free shops and taking them on with me.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns