PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions

heathd666
11-03-2013, 09:02 PM
First question below is a link i am planning on making and was curious if anyone had tried it before and if it was worth making

http://www.russwhaley.com/home-cooking-apple-pie-cyser/

the second question is this
i am going to attempt a 1 gallon recipe for peach melomel. i have 5.5 pds peaches that i am going to peel and pit and use for the recipe. along with 4 pounds of snowberry honey. this is the part i get confused on. do i add 1/2 the peaches to the must than wait 2 weeks rack and strain the old peaches out and than add the second half to the must or do i add all the peaches with the first attempt? i am guessing 1/2 to start it that way i can make the must with more water. i am also not sure what to do with the peaches. i have a 1 gallon glass carboy but the neck is kind of small, it uses a #6 1/2 bung (guess that the right word) so i dont think i can use a bag (satchel) to submerge the peaches into the must so i was wondering, slice the peaches and drop the pieces into the must or puree the peaches and strain the must when racking? as for recipe here goes.

5.5 pounds peaches. 1/2 now and second 1/2 after first racking (not peeled or pitted, should be around 4 pounds once peeled and pitted)
4 pounds snowberry honey
1 package wyeast 3787 yeast
1 gallon ice mountain spring water

thanks for any advice and help

sincerely
heath delashmit

russ_whaley
11-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Hi Heath, thanks for checking my recipe out!

Of course, I'm a little biased :D - but I'm happy with the way the recipe has turned out. It's ready to drink in 2-3 months, depending on your fermentation conditions, and at 6 months tastes the best.

I've had some good feedback on my recipe that you might find helpful here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/apple-pie-cyser-436094/

And, if you have any questions, I'll be pleased to answer.

Have a good one!

Russ

fatbloke
11-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Snowberry honey ? WTF (nothing new there, you lot on the western side of the pond, seem to have access (regionally) to many weird sounding types of honey that I wouldn't have a clue about - a bit like when reading posts from members "down under").

The fruit ? Just split it, remove pits, then freeze. Skins can help with tannins, flavour and sometimes aroma (depending on fruit). So once pitted, just freeze it. If you're worried about possible wild yeasts, just rinse it in sulphite solution before freezing........

GntlKnigt1
11-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Have snowberry bushes over here. Just saw my first about a month ago while gathering eglantines. Snowberries are not edible by humans though, i hear. Pity. They were striking visually.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

Vance G
11-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Peach flavor washes out pretty badly. My advice would be to put your peaches in the secondary after your primary fermentation has slowed. I would use yeast energizer and nutrient. I am not familiar with the yeast you are using. My peach melomel is good but even with the peaches all in the secondary the peach is mostly a smell and a hint.

theEnvoy
11-04-2013, 08:00 PM
I followed Schramm's recipe for the ginger peach melomel and the peaches, in the primary came out fairly distinctive as I bottled. But don't know how it will be after a year of aging. Wonderful taste.

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

heathd666
11-06-2013, 07:32 AM
so for my peach recipe just add 1 gallon of water with 4 pounds honey mix well and add 1 crushed campden tablet let sit 24 hours. start yeast and pitch. add 1 level teaspoons of yeast nutrient and 1/2 teaspoon of yeast energizer and 1/2 teaspoon of pectic enzyme. im not sure the OG SG but i want my final gravity to be over 1.008 for sweet mead and i do this by adding 6 ounces of honey to move it .010 each step. i predict this by testing samples 3 times and average results. OG is starting gravity and i measure the must before i put yeast in? and i want it around 1.120 to 1.135. if i understand it correctly i want to finish a dry mead and back sweeten to taste. what if it is not within the numbers i am looking for? I would add the peaches after the first racking which would be after fermentation has stopped and i know fermentation has stopped by taking readings at 3 different times and the readings are the same than fermemntation has stopped.

as for the cyder can i make a 6 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon fermenter or will i not have enough head space?

thanks in advance sorry im new i have only made JAOM mead a couple of time

sincerely
heath delashmit

Chevette Girl
11-08-2013, 10:10 AM
First bit sounds good, I wouldn't start higher than 1.120 if you're going to backsweeten anyway, and unless you're really pushing for a high alcohol content, just let it go until the SG stops changing. If you're pushing for a higher alcohol content, step-feed it until the SG stops changing.

I wouldn't worry about adjusting the residual sugar before adding the peaches, they're going to release a bunch of water and a little sugar and may dilute your must a bit and if you've maxxed out your yeast they may wake up again. If you want it to ferment, just rack onto your peaches, if you don't want it to ferment on the peaches, add potassium sorbate and a campden tablet per gallon of must to your peaches before you rack onto them.

When it's had some time on the peaches, THEN check your SG, and adjust it to where you want it by adding honey once you've racked it.

I don't know about this particular cyser, but mine haven't foamed overmuch, if you're worried about running out of headspace in your bucket, reserve one gallon of your must in the fridge (in cider jug or water jug or whatever you can fit in the fridge) and add it when the yeast growth stage is done and the very active fermentation's died down, it should finish fermenting a bit more gently and if it's the same SG as your initial must, it makes the math easier, just use your initial and final SG readings for alcohol calculations.

heathd666
11-09-2013, 03:49 PM
so i did my apple cyser try this morning and made 2 times the batch for a total of a 6 gallon recipe. only made one mistake and used the whole 5 pounds of honey instead of 4 and did not use a 1/4 of one of the gallons of apple juice as i used a 6.5 gallon fermenter. after measuring the SG/OG i have 1.100. i used some 1/2" id rubber tubing and a 2 liter bottle for an air lock. if i understand this all right for the first couple of days i need to aerate the must a couple of times to make sure the yeast gets lots of oxygen. i figure once in morning once when i get home from work and finally once before bed. according to the triple scale hydrometer this will come out to 13.18 % alcohol. does this sound correct?

Chevette Girl
11-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Keep checking your SG, you can stop aerating when it's down to about 1.066 (which it probably is by now), and you'll probably want a proper airlock, although the improvised one will do you for now.

Yes, it'll come to that alcohol percent if it finishes all the way, but you won't know it without your final specific gravity.

Hope it's going well!