• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

First brew attempt - no bubbles after 24 hours

Barrel Char Wood Products

Shenanigans

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 3, 2013
Hi everybody! Last night, I started my first ever attempt at brewing. I followed a simple formula found on the net, with only one mistake :) First, here is my problem: The stuff is not bubbling at all.

Here are the details:

1 gallon jug of store-bought water
3 pounds honey (cheap store-brand)
20 raisins
1 package of Lalvin 47 yeast
Stable temperature environment: 70F-72F closet shelf
Unknown specific gravity and pH

In my excitement to get started, I made the mistake of not reconstituting the yeast. I poured it out of the dry pack into the jug along with the honey and raisins. I shook the jug for about 5 minutes to mix everything and aerate it.

Within six hours, I saw a large amount of white sediment starting to form on the bottom of the jug. It's been getting deeper all day, and right now, it appears to be about 1/4-inch thick, but I think it is an illusion as there is a curved transition between the walls and floor of the jug, so the solids will build up higher along the corners than the bottom of the jug, if you know what I mean. In any case, there is certainly more "stuff" there than there was in the little packet of yeast. So, I think the yeast has multiplied.

Nonetheless, after 24 hours, there is no bubbling in the airlock, nor are there any tiny bubbles forming along the sides of the jug.

Should I wait, add a different type of yeast, or just toss the whole jug in the trash and start again?

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Hi everybody! Last night, I started my first ever attempt at brewing. I followed a simple formula found on the net, with only one mistake :) First, here is my problem: The stuff is not bubbling at all.

Here are the details:

1 gallon jug of store-bought water
3 pounds honey (cheap store-brand)
20 raisins
1 package of Lalvin 47 yeast
Stable temperature environment: 70F-72F closet shelf
Unknown specific gravity and pH

In my excitement to get started, I made the mistake of not reconstituting the yeast. I poured it out of the dry pack into the jug along with the honey and raisins. I shook the jug for about 5 minutes to mix everything and aerate it.

Within six hours, I saw a large amount of white sediment starting to form on the bottom of the jug. It's been getting deeper all day, and right now, it appears to be about 1/4-inch thick, but I think it is an illusion as there is a curved transition between the walls and floor of the jug, so the solids will build up higher along the corners than the bottom of the jug, if you know what I mean. In any case, there is certainly more "stuff" there than there was in the little packet of yeast. So, I think the yeast has multiplied.

Nonetheless, after 24 hours, there is no bubbling in the airlock, nor are there any tiny bubbles forming along the sides of the jug.

Should I wait, add a different type of yeast, or just toss the whole jug in the trash and start again?
That's all fine.

Rehydrating the yeast helps some, but you can read of many people here who just sprinkle dry.

Given that you've only used a few raisins by way of anything nutrient, just leave it be. If you are aiming for "natural", you can easily get either yeast hulls from a home brew shop, or if there's not one close by, just boil a couple of teaspoons of bread yeast in a couple of ounces of water (well, just simmer it for 5 minutes). Let it cool and add that for nutrients.

At the moment, it's in what's termed as "lag phase". It will be rehydrating the cells itself, and multiplying the colony. There's not way of really knowing how long this'll take. With traditional musts and rehydrated yeast (especially if it's been rehydrated using some GoFerm), people report a couple of hours, sometimes.

Personally, as it stands, I'd be thinking of the next stage if you don't see any signs of fermentation within 7 days of pitching the yeast.

HTH some.......

Shenanigans

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 3, 2013
Thanks, Fatbloke. Right now, about 41 hours after starting the brew, I see small numbers of tiny bubbles coming up along the walls of the jug. There's a surprisingly large amount of white sediment along the bottom, and that's been growing all day. Something is happening in the brew, so I'll remain patient.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns