PDA

View Full Version : how to produce a better Alcohol level ??

wallbanger63
11-06-2013, 03:58 AM
Hello to all
I am a Newb to Mead and to forum so please forgive me on the most obvious and basic of questions
I have enzusiastically started a batch of mead (cyser ) neglecting to take any Ph or O. G readings

I havent followed a receipe as such just adapted it
Being that batch was quite sweet to start off with I skimped a little on the honey
The batch has been successfully fermenting for 3 weeks but have notced that the bubbles are now very few and far between
does this mean that it is comming to the end of fermentation

I would like to try and encourage further fermentation to obtain a better alcohol level
what do you advise??

a Rack and leave
b Rack leave and add new yeast and nutrients
c leave
d start again
e none of the above

Thankyou
HK

WVMJack
11-06-2013, 04:16 AM
Did you taste it, is it still sweet, would a higher alcohol level match with the way it is now tastewise, can you take a hydrometer reading now, if you dont know the alchohol level now how do you know you want it higher? You can of course keep adding honey a little at a time until it wont ferment anymore. WVMJ

GntlKnigt1
11-06-2013, 07:18 AM
In addition, yeasts have an upper limit on how much alcohol they will tolerate. Do you know what yeast you used? What has been the temperature where it has been fermenting?

You could add a cup of honey every time fermentation slows down.... if you have the space in your fermenter. Do you know how much honey has gone in so far? And how much water?

Welcome to mead making !!!! Have some fun with it !