PDA

View Full Version : Stratification

anir dendroica
11-13-2013, 10:02 PM
I have a rose mead that has 70% cleared, with 3.5 gallons of perfectly clear mead above a completely opaque 1.5 gallons on the bottom. The dividing line is quite distinct and has not moved in about a month, so I am skeptical that it will clear completely.

Have any of you experienced something like this? Did it eventually clear? Rather than mix it back up and treat it with a fining agent I'm thinking I might bottle three gallons of clear mead off the top and move the opaque stuff into 1-gallon carboys with some bentonite/sparkolloid. My rationale being that I don't want to strip delicate rose flavor from the whole batch with a fining agent, and the clear portion is absolutely delicious as-is.

Marshmallow Blue
11-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Have you tried cold crashing? That might be enough to knock the rest down.

anir dendroica
11-14-2013, 01:35 PM
That's a good idea. Once the oak is done extracting in another few weeks, I might try putting it in an ice bath in the garage for a week or so.

WVMJack
11-15-2013, 08:36 PM
Sounds like you have a different density, so your oak is not going to migrate well from one layer to the top, might be a better idea to just give it a stir, then if it wont clear all the way something gentle like sparkaloid. How do you make a rose mead? I have tasted a Polish version called the Monk from Orchid cellars in Maryland, I was so surprised at how good a rose mead could be, I got a bottle for my wife but made her share. WVMJ

Chevette Girl
11-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Yeah, oddly enough, if it's not clearing, stirring won't make it worse and may well make it better...

anir dendroica
11-15-2013, 09:18 PM
Sounds like you have a different density, so your oak is not going to migrate well from one layer to the top, might be a better idea to just give it a stir, then if it wont clear all the way something gentle like sparkaloid. How do you make a rose mead? I have tasted a Polish version called the Monk from Orchid cellars in Maryland, I was so surprised at how good a rose mead could be, I got a bottle for my wife but made her share. WVMJ

This one was a traditional racked onto 1.7 lbs of rose petals for two weeks after primary fermentation. Quite a few different varieties of roses as I picked them at my friend's farm back in June then froze them in ziploc bags until I was ready to use them. The rose flavor is evolving quickly. When I first racked off the petals it was so subtle that some folks couldn't taste it. A month ago is was clearly noticeable. Now if it gets any stronger I will have rose water...