PDA

View Full Version : Yeast for JAOM?

visionsit
11-14-2013, 08:06 PM
I bought the Fleischmann's "traditional" active dry yeast. I'm assuming this is the correct kind? I'm going to be using unpasteurized honey, should I use just the 1tsp amount of yeast or more?
Thanks

Honeyhog
11-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Yup, one of those little packages is plenty or if you bought a canister of it a tsp will be enough.

mannye
11-14-2013, 09:25 PM
x2 I just dumped the whole little package. In my area it comes in a 3 pack. I used one of those.

joemirando
11-14-2013, 09:33 PM
I bought the Fleischmann's "traditional" active dry yeast. I'm assuming this is the correct kind? I'm going to be using unpasteurized honey, should I use just the 1tsp amount of yeast or more?
Thanks

Yep, that's the stuff. That packet (or at least a packet of actual wine yeast) would handle up to five gallons, so we're really supercharging the process here. When I make a gallon batch of anything, I use the full packet.

You probably also saw "Rapid Rise" Fleischmann's as well. People have said that works just the same, and I don't recall if the JAOM "warranty" specifies 'Traditional' as opposed to 'Rapid Rise' or not, but I have found that in baking, at least, the rapid rise yeast is not as 'strong' in the long run.

Congratulations, you're on your way to making mead! Welcome to the obsession. <grin>

Joe

Visionist
11-14-2013, 09:44 PM
Yep, that's the stuff. That packet (or at least a packet of actual wine yeast) would handle up to five gallons, so we're really supercharging the process here. When I make a gallon batch of anything, I use the full packet.

You probably also saw "Rapid Rise" Fleischmann's as well. People have said that works just the same, and I don't recall if the JAOM "warranty" specifies 'Traditional' as opposed to 'Rapid Rise' or not, but I have found that in baking, at least, the rapid rise yeast is not as 'strong' in the long run.

Congratulations, you're on your way to making mead! Welcome to the obsession. <grin>

Joe
Yes I bought the 3x8g package which is = 2 1/4 tsp.
I should be good dumping one full packet in for 1 gallon?
Had to make a new account, spelled my name wrong...

joemirando
11-14-2013, 09:56 PM
Yes I bought the 3x8g package which is = 2 1/4 tsp.
I should be good dumping one full packet in for 1 gallon?
Had to make a new account, spelled my name wrong...

Yes. Use one whole packet. Just dump it in and shake the who-ha out of it for about five minutes.

Again, congrats. Now the fun begins!

Joe