PDA

View Full Version : How much longer should I wait?

MidwayMonster
11-15-2013, 02:08 PM
My mead (JAOM) has been fermenting for a month or so. I realize that i'm supposed to wait 6 months, but i dont care much about the taste, i just want something that is drinkable. how much ABV would a JAOM have at the one month mark? I would test it myself but i dont have a hydrometer.

How long will it take for the mead to clear? Would i puke if I tried to drink the mead now?

What if i drank the mead cold?

theWestWinds
11-15-2013, 04:57 PM
I just tasted my first batch of mead that has been fermenting for 24 days and it tastes great! Give it a try. Your mouth is the poor-man's hydrometer (but I also went out and bought a hydrometer, too).

Chevette Girl
11-16-2013, 01:03 AM
It should be done and drinkable by 2 months.

If it's not bubbling, it's probably finished fermenting. If it's clearing, it's getting close... if it's cleared, it's drinkable. If the fruit has sunk, it's degassed and good to go.

fatbloke
11-16-2013, 03:25 AM
Wait until the fruit has dropped........

If you find it's finished fermenting and it's cleared, and you try to rack it, you'll find that the layer of yeast that's settled on the fruit will come back into suspension when the fruit is moved by putting the racking cane in.

Once the fruit has dropped, move the fermenter to where you're gonna conduct the racking a couple of days before you actually rack.

Then rack the cleared part carefully so as not to disturb the yeast. The sediment is very soft and "fluffy" and will come back up, clouding the brew without much difficulty......