PDA

View Full Version : sourwood honey

bernardsmith
11-16-2013, 08:26 PM
I have a source for a small quantity of sourwood honey. I have never tasted this before and wonder if it would make a good simple mead with no added flavors or whether it might benefit from added fruit or spices. Thoughts?

mmclean
11-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Sourwood is a very nice honey, and local for me, I would use it with mild flavors, so as to let it peek through. I prefer to use wildflower or clover with stronger flavors.

bernardsmith
11-16-2013, 11:22 PM
Thanks. I think I will see if I can buy 3 lbs and make a gallon.

fatbloke
11-17-2013, 05:45 AM
Thanks. I think I will see if I can buy 3 lbs and make a gallon.
Well its not a varietal I've seen over here Bernard, but I seem to recall reading some excellent reviews of it........

Is it one of the more expensive varietals ? Or is it that "sour wood" isn't farmed like orange etc ?

mmclean
11-17-2013, 09:13 AM
@ fatbloke

FYI

The Sourwood tree (Oxydendrum arboreum) is found throughout most of the eastern U.S., but mostly in the lower chain of the Appalachian Mountains.

From Wikipedia:
Thin and complex, tasting almost like clover honey initially, with a characteristic faint sour aftertaste.

Medsen Fey
11-17-2013, 09:33 AM
Sourwood has a delicate flavor and makes a delicious traditional. The flavor can be drowned out by fruits and spices so go easy on them if you aren't making a traditional.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

bernardsmith
11-17-2013, 01:24 PM
I got myself 40 oz of raw sourwood - (just over 1 kilo) so enough to make about 1 gallon. The container suggests that there is about 960 g of sugar, so by calculation that should give me a starting SG of about 1.090-095. My plan is to ferment this honey with no fruit or other additives. But I have a chocolate mead (using black locust) that I want to start tonight so the sourwood will need to wait until next week...

mmclean
11-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Locust honey is one of my favorite.