• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Cotton Honey

Barrel Char Wood Products

Noe Palacios

Aristaeus' Apprentice
GotMead Patron
Hello:

In my homeland, 40 years ago, there wtere huge cotton plantations, there aren't any more for almost 25 years.

I'd just had read about cotton honey and I think that could be interesting to produce some cotton honey. Does anyone knows how many kg of honey could be harvested from one cotton hectare?

Saludes,

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Bloody hell...... now there's an excellent question Noe......

I wouldn't know what weight would be harvested from a hectare of wild flower, let alone from cotton.

But your mention of cotton honey is yet another type I hadn't thought of.....

Is cotton even pollinated by insects ? Or is it wind or some other method ?

I'm unlikely to know or even be able to know where too look as its too cool here for cotton (few places have managed tea and some of the slightly warmer grapes recently).

Good luck on your mission to find out, it'll make interesting reading.....

Noe Palacios

Aristaeus' Apprentice
GotMead Patron
Bloody hell...... now there's an excellent question Noe......

I wouldn't know what weight would be harvested from a hectare of wild flower, let alone from cotton.

But your mention of cotton honey is yet another type I hadn't thought of.....

Is cotton even pollinated by insects ? Or is it wind or some other method ?

I'm unlikely to know or even be able to know where too look as its too cool here for cotton (few places have managed tea and some of the slightly warmer grapes recently).

Good luck on your mission to find out, it'll make interesting reading.....

Fatbloke:

I hope it woulndn't be necessary to seed one cotton hectare to find it out.

Saludes,

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Flowers of many varieties are self-fertile and self-pollinating; however, some varieties respond well to cross-pollination. The pollen is not wind-borne, and insects are good pollinators. With some varieties, bee pollination increases seed set per boll. In practice, few, if any, growers manage bees for pollinating cotton. The crop is attractive to bees, and if insecticide pressure is low honey bees may store surplus cotton honey.

Source: http://www.ent.uga.edu/bees/pollination/crop-pollination.html

And here is where some may be able to get their hands on some cotton honey:

http://www.beefolks.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=83&cat=Cotton+Honey

Vance G

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2011
Great Falls Montana
The problem for beekeepers who plant a crop to produce a honey is that the bees may not choose to harvest it. They are good capitalists and devote their energies to activities that yield the highest reward for them. If something they like better is blooming, they may totally ignore the cotton flowers. Where you live, many honey plants are available, so the odds that cotton would be the top attraction is probably not all that great.

smertz001

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Nov 13, 2012
Houston, TX
smertz.net
I actually got some cotton honey this summer at a mead festival here in Texas. And it's very tasty.

When I remember, I will put it's notes under the honey varietal thread (if I can find it again.) so that others know more about it.

Of that, I don't know how much cotton is required to make the honey at all.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns