PDA

View Full Version : JOA... Air Lock got Broke...

DonMcJr
11-19-2013, 12:55 PM
We made a batch of JOA a month ago at our Beekeeping Club Meeting...Books were dropped on the Airlock and it broke. I work nights and was sleeping when they called me and didn't get there for about 8 hours to replace the airlock.

Once the new airlock was on it started bubling again pretty quick.

Are we ok?

DonMcJr
11-19-2013, 01:23 PM
Please make sure you read the above post 1st that is really the question I need advice on...

Here's my Personal batch of JOA, just over a month...Clearing already and not bubbling...So is it possible it will be done early?

http://www.michiganoutdoorsman.com/MOPhoto/albums/userpics/10005/normal_Nov19th2013.jpg

fatbloke
11-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Question 1....... yes should be fine. CO2 is heavier than air so it would just have expelled any air/O2 as it filled the air space.

You could have just used some cling wrap and an elastic band as a temporary measure as the gas would still be able to force its way out...

Q2...... yes, quite feasibly. But let the fruit drop as you'll disturb the yeast sediment thats settled on it if you don't. ....

Its enough of a pain to rack as it is, which you'll learn when you come to rack that......

DonMcJr
11-19-2013, 03:50 PM
THANKS!
:cool:

mannye
11-19-2013, 03:50 PM
Looks very nice and clean! I used OB Honey so it may have had a more "yellow" look to it. I'm looking at that pale white trub (ok...lees) and imagining it must smell nice right about now!

Leave it alone until the fruit sinks! It will keep clearing until then.

MikeTheElder
11-26-2013, 11:43 PM
That is some nice looking Mead.

I just bottled a 5 gallon batch of orange mead made with clover honey, I thought would be a nice color like that but it turned out a lot more yellow.

Chevette Girl
11-27-2013, 01:09 AM
Things I have learned about JAO and air exposure: if it hasn't started growing fruit flies, you're fine.

schlapppy
11-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Things I have learned about JAO and air exposure: if it hasn't started growing fruit flies, you're fine.

Sounds like some good advice to me! ;D

DonMcJr
12-18-2013, 05:56 PM
Ok so need some quick advice... the 3 gallon batch at our Beekeeping club that we made was started 3 days after the one above and it's the one where the airlock was broke and I put a new one on the same day.

I already bottled the one gallon batch in the photo above but as of yesterday the 3 gallon batch isn't bubbling and isn't even close to clear. Only difference is we used different well water.

Just give it more time or can I do something like add a little more yeast or something?

The Nature Center where we have it at will be closed til after new years after tomorrow so I have to do it tomorrow...if there's anything to do...

mannye
12-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Like I said in the other post. Relax, have a homebrew. CRack open a bottle from the one gallon batch and drink up!