PDA

View Full Version : Acid balance from just fruit

McJeff
11-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Ok so bored and was brainstorming my next batch. I was thinking of using fruit as if they were an acid blend. Was thinking Banana(tartaric)/Kiwi(malic)/orange(citrus) in a 40/40/20 ratio.
Anyone else tried this? Kinda turned off from the banana taste but will do it for science!

Medsen Fey
11-20-2013, 10:55 PM
Try tamarind for tartaric instead

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

McJeff
11-21-2013, 07:08 AM
Nice find! Not sure I can even get that in my area

McJeff
11-21-2013, 07:17 AM
How potent is the concentrate?
)
http://amzn.com/B001EPPC9E

Noe Palacios
11-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Try tamarind for tartaric instead

YES!!!

I did the same with a great outcome. Highly recomend.

Saludes,

McJeff
11-25-2013, 01:34 PM
If i was to get the paste/concentrated stuff how much would use vs unconcentrated?

bernardsmith
11-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Ok so bored and was brainstorming my next batch. I was thinking of using fruit as if they were an acid blend. Was thinking Banana(tartaric)/Kiwi(malic)/orange(citrus) in a 40/40/20 ratio.
Anyone else tried this? Kinda turned off from the banana taste but will do it for science!

I am making some banana wine and even while still very "green" does not in any way taste like banana - more like a chardonay. You need to use very, very ripe bananas

anir dendroica
11-25-2013, 03:28 PM
I don't think I would use bananas to add acid - they have a strong flavor that will definitely come through in the finished product, and they aren't that acidic so you would need quite a bit.

Tamarind is a great idea. Verjus (juice of unripe grapes) might be good as well and would contribute tartaric/malic/citric acids. I have a cousin that does a good business selling verjus, but I have yet to try it in mead.

McJeff
11-25-2013, 03:28 PM
I am making some banana wine and even while still very "green" does not in any way taste like banana - more like a chardonay. You need to use very, very ripe bananas

hmm interesting ty. So what you are saying to get that banana taste use ripe ones. Wonder if not so ripe green banana's still have the same acidity?

Noe Palacios
11-25-2013, 09:34 PM
hmm interesting ty. So what you are saying to get that banana taste use ripe ones. Wonder if not so ripe green banana's still have the same acidity?

I don't, but I only used ripe bananas to make vinegar from my bad experiences. Be careful.

Saludes,

McJeff
11-26-2013, 10:50 AM
I don't think I would use bananas to add acid - they have a strong flavor that will definitely come through in the finished product, and they aren't that acidic so you would need quite a bit.

Tamarind is a great idea. Verjus (juice of unripe grapes) might be good as well and would contribute tartaric/malic/citric acids. I have a cousin that does a good business selling verjus, but I have yet to try it in mead.

i wouldnt mind tryin the Tamarind, just not sure how much of the concentrate to use. I dont want to over do it and kill the mead.

Noe Palacios
11-26-2013, 12:20 PM
i wouldnt mind tryin the Tamarind, just not sure how much of the concentrate to use. I dont want to over do it and kill the mead.

I use 6 pounds per 60 gallons batch, on secondary.

Saludes,

McJeff
11-26-2013, 12:36 PM
60 gallon batch? was that a typo :eek:

Noe Palacios
11-26-2013, 01:28 PM
60 gallon batch? was that a typo :eek:

That's my typical batch size.

Saludes,

McJeff
11-26-2013, 02:42 PM
So are the 6lbs of Tamarind even bring any flavor to the 60 gallon batch?

Noe Palacios
11-27-2013, 12:30 PM
So are the 6lbs of Tamarind even bring any flavor to the 60 gallon batch?

Not so sure, there are other factors in between. But I use tamarind instead acids ... I feel this as the ... interesting way.

Saludes,

Medsen Fey
11-27-2013, 07:58 PM
1/2 pound in 5 gallons will give some flavor.