PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewer's Ugliest Dog Pageant, another spinoff thread!

Chevette Girl
11-22-2013, 10:49 AM
So it was mentioned over here (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?p=219678) ...

Like when I went temporarily insane and brewed that Garlic Extra Special Bitter. Yeah, I really did that. Is there a home brewers equivalent to the ugliest dog pageant?

So that's Mister Z's submission, if he'd care to expand on how he did it, how it turned out and what he ended up doing with it, if he ever got the smell of garlic out of his equipment... ;D

Mine would be my jalapeno wine which stuck at 1.060 for about 5 years, then I finally checked on it, restarted it, fermented it dry, and bottled it too early and had to degas each bottle for a few months. I only used two peppers (they were the only thing that grew in my garden that year), in a spice bag during primary fermentation. It turned out not the least bit hot, but very interestingly tastes exactly like eating a jalapeno pepper. Several people have had a sip since I finally finished it and "interesting" is the most common descriptor.

TheAlchemist
11-24-2013, 08:52 PM
I liked Betelgeuse, but my brother would say it tasted "like dirt..."

joemirando
11-24-2013, 09:39 PM
I liked Betelgeuse, but my brother would say it tasted "like dirt..."

That's because it was 'ground' this morning. <ducking>

Medsen Fey
11-25-2013, 06:57 AM
That mead and your puns are both TERRAfying...

My very first mead was a "whole-hive" recipe with lots of pollen, and propolis which was fermented dry using D47 @ 76F. It was undernourished, and hit with a heavy dose of citric acid. It was bottled prematurely and had to de-gassed and recorked.

I still have a couple of bottles and use it as an example of how not to make mead. It tastes like bitter, sour, "hot", paint-thinner. It helps keep me humble.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

GntlKnigt1
11-25-2013, 09:16 AM
That mead and your puns are both TERRAfying...

My very first mead was a "whole-hive" recipe with lots of pollen, and propolis which was fermented dry using D47 @ 76F. It was undernourished, and hit with a heavy dose of citric acid. It was bottled prematurely and had to de-gassed and recorked.

I still have a couple of bottles and use it as an example of how not to make mead. It tastes like bitter, sour, "hot", paint-thinner. It helps keep me humble.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

LOL... I have some of that too!! It was "spit it out" nasty when I bottled it.... and now, nearly 10 years later, it is still way below average. The recipe kept saying to add acid blend... then more honey.... more acid....A freaking disaster....